• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma bitaeniata Young male?

fart

5 Year Member
Hi

Lately iv been wondering about a Apistogramma i got with to male Apistogramma bitaeniata. First i hoped it might have been a female Apistogramma bitaeniata.

Sadly the fish only lived a week in my care :frown:

This is the fish when i got it

IMG_3829.jpg

and here is the to male Apistogramma bitaeniata in the same bag
IMG_3830.jpg

And one of the "young male Apistogramma bitaeniata" Is that correct?

IMG_3966.jpg

With regards
RHD

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I cannot be positive from this photo, but I believe the first photo shows a young male of A. cf. agassizii BBCS. The second photo shows A. bitaeniata. The third photo seems to show the same species as the first (not A. bitaeniata). Do you know from which country the fish originated?

fart

5 Year Member
Hi and Thanks for the help again Mike Wise.

The top and bottom picture is of the same fish. I am sorry but i dont have any other good pictures of the fish.

All she knew at the lfs was that they where wild caught, all three was sold to me as Apistogramma bitaeniata.

I have sent an e-mail to OHR, to hear if he has more information. He tiped me that they had Apistogramma bitaeniata at the lfs.

With regards
RHD

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Looks like all of your fish are males .
Female A. bitaeniata will probably be the easier to find but this off shoot of this type of A. agassizi's females are another matter.
It is not unusual for wild imports to be skewed heavily towards being the males because collectors' eyes catch the flashier colors of the males.
I rather buy a large group of one species rather than a few of more than one species. This approach helps raise the probability of getting at least one pair out of six to twelve fish.
While it is nice to see more wild Apistogramma being imported their increased popularity has also resulted in dealers asking rather high prices.
I miss the good old days when I could order 100 assorted Dwarf Cichlids for $25 wholesale and end up with three or four species. Now Apistogramma which are not even sold in pairs are fetching around $15 each making getting large numbers a very expensive proposition for shots in the dark.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….