• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Agassizii

Andrew Powell

You probably have seen images of our large 'Double Red' male lurking about this forum somewhere.

Well as an update, he passed away a few days ago (He was older than I thought). It is a real shame as he only managed one spawning as his 'Double Red' female was very young before he died.

Today however, I went out and purchased his successor, another, though different in appearance, 'Double Red' male.

He is much younger than his predecessor and about the same size as both females (wild caught 'Flamenco' female being the other to the 'Double Red' female).

I will update when he has settled in and also when he chooses a female (if not both).

This is the male that passed away
Dead Aggy.jpg

New male
New Aggy.jpg

New Aggy1.jpg

New Aggy2.jpg

New Aggy3.jpg

Andrew Powell

Sorry to hear about the old man.

GL with the new one.

I have been liking Agassizi lately

Thankyou Monte,

I too have been finding Agassizii quite appealing of late. I was originally looking at this male (image below) but decided on the 'Double Red' instead as I am not sure about the 'Fire Reds' life expectancy.

WP_20140819_002.jpg

rr16

5 Year Member
Hiya, where did you get him from? Do they have any wild caught apistos?

Andrew Powell

Hiya, where did you get him from? Do they have any wild caught apistos?

Hi,
I got him from Aqualife, Ulnes Walton, Preston. They do try and get wild caught in, it all depends on what is on the order list at the time of Aqualife ordering. You can request Apistogramma species (that's if they happen to be on the list from where they order).
Our Apistogramma Eunotus were purchased there (wild caught) along with our, Borellii, Panduro, Baenschi 'Inka' and Trifasciata. Our Eremnopyge were purchased at the Preston District Aquarist Society auction, our McMasteri were purchased from a lone stockist and our wild caught Barlowi and Agassizii 'Flamenco' female were purchased from Rare Aquatics

rr16

5 Year Member
Are you barlowi white or red form? I have a red-form male and a white form pair both from rare. I got my pair of panduro from there too but I think the male is actually nijsseni. They're wild caught. Were your panduro wild? Have they bred? I'm probably looking to get hold of a male panduro to try and breed with my female who is looking ready to breed frequently.

Andrew Powell

Are you barlowi white or red form? I have a red-form male and a white form pair both from rare. I got my pair of panduro from there too but I think the male is actually nijsseni. They're wild caught. Were your panduro wild? Have they bred? I'm probably looking to get hold of a male panduro to try and breed with my female who is looking ready to breed frequently.

No idea mate, this is our Barlowi Male (wild caught)

Barlowi3.jpg

rr16

5 Year Member
He looks like he's white form. I think Rare must have had a couple of batches in as my first pair were red form and one of them died. The second pair were white, but they had been returned by a customer who had grown them on. The female has been missing for over a day now. Am hoping she has gone into hiding to hatch eggs, but who knows. Hope she's not croaked. Have you had any luck breeding them yet? Loving your aggassizi by the way. I have a mixed bunch of them but not much luck with them spawning really. I'm half tempted to get another male incase he's the problem (although he's a lovely fish), as not had any batches of eggs hatch when the females have spawned during his reign!

Andrew Powell

He looks like he's white form. I think Rare must have had a couple of batches in as my first pair were red form and one of them died. The second pair were white, but they had been returned by a customer who had grown them on. The female has been missing for over a day now. Am hoping she has gone into hiding to hatch eggs, but who knows. Hope she's not croaked. Have you had any luck breeding them yet? Loving your aggassizi by the way. I have a mixed bunch of them but not much luck with them spawning really. I'm half tempted to get another male incase he's the problem (although he's a lovely fish), as not had any batches of eggs hatch when the females have spawned during his reign!

I haven't seen the red form yet dude but will do a little research and take a peek ;)
Our Barlowi have spawned twice but have munched the eggs, hoping third time is the charm!
The new male Agassizii is a lovely looking male, I like the fact he has the band around his tail fin, where the old male didn't..

rr16

5 Year Member
Here's a pic of the red form male (I'm assuming he's red form as he has a redder body colouring). The vids show both white and red form males.

The bigger one is the white form. The red colouration may not be too clear on the red form in the vids/pics though.

Attachments

• Male barlowi red.jpg
    Male barlowi red.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 297

Andrew Powell

As a way of an update,

Our new male Agassazii male has settled in wonderfully and coloured up beautifully, he's even found a female to 'hang' with ;)

(Ignore the state of the tank as the pump had stopped working. It was replaced an hour after these images were shot)

new.jpg
new1.jpg
new2.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….