• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apistogramma Agassizii Breeding - fall starts...

Drammy

5 Year Member
Hi guys n gals,

(apologies for the long post - I like to get all the facts up front...)

I have a 55g community tank that is light - medium planted, in which a pair of apistos seem to keep having false start spawns...

The stats

pH 6.2
Am 0
Ni 0
Na just under 10 (probably about 8)
kH 4
Temp 26.5

2 external filters, Fluval 305 & 205

1 UV installation on 205 output flow.

Lights (88W total) on for 10 hours a day with 2 hour break at midday (prevent excessive algae build up)

Sand substrate, spawning caves and layer of grade A almond leaves.

I change 42 litres (20%) of water every day.

The Fish

Pair of apistogramma agassizii
2 Pink Gourami
1 male Dwarf Gourami
6 Panda Corydoras
2 Sailfin Plecos
6 Rummy Nose Tetras
8 Bloodfin Tetras
4 Harlequin Rasboras.

I plan to rehouse the Dwarf Gourami, Sailfin plecos, Rasborasand Corydoras. I will keep all the Tetras.

The diet

I feed beef heart once a week, live bloodworm 3 times a week, live daphnia once a week, frozen bloodworm every day. Plus other foods specific to the other fish (such as algae wafers).

The problem

The apistos first spawned 2 weeks ago. After about 2 days the female was outside the cave and not interested anymore so I assume she ate the eggs. I guessed that she was concerned that the other fish would get to her eggs so she recycled them.

Last Saturday they spawned again. She was guarding some her cave, so I went and found some egg crate and some fine sturdy plastic mesh. I niitted the two together using nylon fishing line and have managed to separate 1/3rd of the tank with just the Apisto pair in it and keep all the other fish in the opther 2/3rds of the tank.

Yesterday she stopped guarding the cave so I guess she has eaten the eggs again despite my best attempts to make her feel more secure.

Has anyone experienced this kind of situation? Or does anyone have any advice on what I can do to get the pair too breed?

Any help appreciated...

Drammy

Tea

5 Year Member
spawn.

Hello Drammy, my experience with Agassizii's is it takes a couple of spawns before they get it right, If the fish are young. Give it some time that is what I have learned.

Drammy

5 Year Member
Hi Tea, I guess I need to be more patient then...

Do you agree with the fish I have selected to re-home/keep?

Sharpfish

5 Year Member
Did you actually see the eggs? It may not be the female it may be the male not fertilizing the eggs properly. If it is only 2 days till she losses interest it may be because the eggs have fungused. To qoute a famous TV show "Patience Grasshopper". Catfish can reek havoc with eggs and fry.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning,

Agree with your water parameters and set up.
As all others have suggested- be patient.
The other options are. 1. Place them in a tank of their own. 2. make sure that you have a pait and not a sleeper or unfertile male or even female. 3. see if you can place the caves etc so you can look into them to see the eggs 4. sometines fish eat eaggs because they feel threatend and tetras are great at this. I would however just wait and see what happens again. cheers and good luck jk :biggrin:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….