• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto tankmates > what works what doesn't

farm41

5 Year Member
I just want to know what you have tried, if you liked it, or if it didn't work out.

I bought 4 killifish the other day and will try them as tankmates.

aspen

5 Year Member
i had a 20 gal, with a pair of rams, a single adult discus, and some rummynose tetras for 8 months or so. after some jockeying, all worked out quite well. the only real agression was between the discus and the male ram. the discus was not quick enough, but it never lasted long. i really enjoyed the mix. the rams laid but always ate their eggs.

presently, i have 3 discus (soon to be 2 when the pair lays) 2 cacatoides, 2 rams, 2 viejitas, and 4 rummy's. not sure how things will work out, but things seem active and not too 'brutal', just a little agression now and then. i expect some major agression if the discus pair, and am ready with another tank standing by, for the rest of the fish, jic.

rick

great thread. looking forward to the more experienced in the crowd. chimimg in.

aspen

5 Year Member
it is a 35 gal, with white sand a few plastic plants and some caves etc. (trying to maintain the cleanest conditions. these discus have never been in a tank with anything but a glass bottom.) i'm real careful with my discus. yes, it is overstocked- for now. will be a 90 gal soon.

rick

C

Cattmandoo

I once bought a school of neon tetras just to serve as dither fish in a tank with some agasizzi (the neons were cheap). They have worked out great as dither fish, making the aggies less shy and now I find that I actually like to watch the school of tetras patrolling the tank.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I've been using dwraf pencilfish lately with decent results. They seem to be a little more adaptable than some of the tetras and just as colorful. Plus, they aren't that expensive and if they don't move fast enough I'm only out around 99 cents :D

Neil

Thee was a good thread on this a month or two ago. You might try a search on killies to find it.
Most tetras are good, especially neons and cards. Pencilfish are good. I am using a new species of bright red pencils in one of my tanks. I have used killies before as well as Psuedomogil ( Soft-water Dwarf Rainbows). Rasboras are excellent for very soft water, much like the neons and cards.
I think pretty much the sky's the limit. As long as they can handle the perms and are are a little quick of foot, any fish should be OK. One consideration is to avoid too many fish that stay on the ground. Some can be OK, but they are usually the ones that you run into problems with.
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….