• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto identification II

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Not sure what it is, none of my mendezi pics show the double lateral line like the ines in your pictures. Anyway, it looks nice and would love to get some in my tank!

jvr

5 Year Member
I can not get a link to any of your listed pictures, says web site is not found.

Have had this issue on these links for several days now.

Thanks

John

apisto85

5 Year Member
Now they work...Im no expert but that looks like mendezi
Did they tell u something about were theys fish were captured??? that might help

Marcelo

5 Year Member
Hello apisto85,

I haven't changed server yet, it really seems to be a DNS problem. That's why it takes some time till everyone can see it...

No, no info abut where they were captured. We rarelly see apistos on LFSs here, when it happens it's usually what lasts of what was not exported. We have to buy it and look for info after...

Neil

Hey Marcelo,
I don't think that is a mendezi. Adult male mendezi usually have a clearly distinctive lyretail. There are quite a few new species-forms of various fish out there that don't looked particularly close to the originals, but the caudal fin of your mystery fish is fairly round. I doubt if it will go the opposite direction toward lyre.
Beautiful fish though. I wish my LFS had something like those on occasion!!! I will look closer and research a little when I have more time and see if I can come up with something.

The pictures on the web are possible with a hotlink, but I don't think that Gary has the forum formated to handle straight pics. For those of us with a dial-up connection things will slow down way more than what we already have to go through. Your links now work just fine though.
Neil

Marcelo

5 Year Member
Hello Neil,

If you find anything about this apisto please keep me informed. Thank you for your help.

I don't have any problems with posting only the links. I've only posted the pics cause I didn't know I couldn't. I think it's easier, but you're right about dial-up connections.

Aquatico

5 Year Member
That looks like Apistogramma sp. Miua. I have been seeing them on my list from Brazil lately. There is a pic in TFH Jan 2003. I should be getting some in next week.

Don Atkinson

Marcelo

5 Year Member
Hello Don,

After searching on Google for A sp. Miua I found a link to a description on The Krib and a picture of it in another site. I think you are right, it cna be a A. Miua.

Thank you,

Neil

Aquatico is right. That is exactly what it is. I should have remembered that because of the distinctive sublateral line, fin coloration and cheek and throat color. There are 2 forms of sp."Miua. A red (unbelievable!) and a blue. You have one nice fish there. Take care of them and get some fry!
Neil

Marcelo

5 Year Member
Hello Neil,

Is mine the blue one?

It won't be easy to get some fry, I don't have any females (that is, if the females are yellow as I saw in a pic), and I don't know if it will ever appear again in a LFS here again.

Thank you,

H

humberto

Hi everybody,

Marcelo, the one that i have here looks like your and now i am sure that it is a apisto. sp. "Miua", a male.

thanks.

Neil

humberto,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

If you have females, you will probably make a quick freind of Marcelo. Both of you live in the same town and probably shop at the same LFS.

Marcelo,

Is mine the blue one?

Yes, I think so. Yours has red on the face, but the red form will have more red on the rest of the body. Both are nice-looking apistos though. Here is a pic from Julios old website of a red. There is also a pic of the blue on there as well.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jsmelgar/images/Amiua1.jpg

H

humberto

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the "welcome", Marcelo is just a friend of mine and you are right we shop at the same LFS, but i think that there were not any female at this LFS, unfortunatelly... :cry: , but we have another friend, Bob_Marley, who have more apistos from the same LFS let's see if he has any female.

Thanks.

B

Bob_Marley

Hi everybody!! Hello Humberto! :D
I'm not sure, but i think that i don't have any A. Miua sp. female with me , unfortunetely :( .
That's what Marcelo said, if the female is so yellow as that we saw on a pic, we don't have any of them... see you...

Bob Marley.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….