• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Cac. Sexing?

fischman

5 Year Member
Okay, I bout a pair about 6 months ago, they were young but one was smaller than the other. Over the past months one grew into a beautiful male, and the other stayed smaller but colored up nicely. But they showed no interest in each other. About 2 weeks ago, due to unknown circumstances I found my beautiful male dead. Now the smaller one seams to be going through a growth spurt and (its) fins are beginning to elongate and become more like a males!!!! So my question is, if two males are put into a 26 bowfront tank will one become a submissive and possibly hide its male traits to avoid conflict? Until the past couple days I truely had no concerns about the other one being a male, just figured they weren't real fond of each other. I'll post pics of them shortly, although I never got good pics of the female(male?) before as it was always hiding down by the coconut caves.

BTW, they never fought, they just didn't seem interested in each other. And I swear I saw the female(male?) turn quite golden yellow a few times which got my hopes up that they were gonna get it on... I'd like to try and find a new mate, but if this is a male, I'd like to get a couple females, if it's a female, I'd like to get a male and possibly another female. Thanks!

Josh

Male that died:

img08501.jpg

Fish in question:

img15651.jpg

The more I look at it, the more I believe it has to be a male. It's just crazy, because the tips of the caudal, anal, and pectoral fins were flat previously and not long like they are becoming now.

Here is the only previous pic I have of the fish in question, it's crappy though:

img08341.jpg

fischman

5 Year Member
I apologize, I just realized I posted in the wrong forum. If a Mod wants to move this to the correct one I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Josh

indyplanted

I had similar situation. turned out to be male. Female cacas are not that colorful or at least the ones I have are not. the smaller male I had would turn yellowish too. I moved him to a different tank and he developed out. yours is a nice looking fish, I wish my males were that pretty. I have 4 smaller ones that look like they have some potential. -Bradley

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….