• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone have a few extra candidi females

Gillie

5 Year Member
Just wondering if anyone might have a few T. Candidi female they'd be willing to part with? Out of all of the Taeniacara I've accumulated recently it looks like I only have 2.

oldschool

5 Year Member
Phil,

I am growing out some spawns now if you can't find any females in the next few weeks let me know I should have some ready.

Gillie

5 Year Member
Phil,

I am growing out some spawns now if you can't find any females in the next few weeks let me know I should have some ready.

Great that is a definite will do. For some reason I have terrible luck with picking them out and what makes it worse is the fact that my f1's were just a random scoop in the tank no picking one at a time.

oldschool

5 Year Member
Sorry about your luck that's a bummer especially on a rare fish, it has happened to me in the past as well. The good news is that they grow very fast. I have them sexable in 3 months and breeding at 4 months. I am sure in the wild they slow down during the dry season because they sure grow fast. The wild ones I received were paper thin tiny things when I received them only to pop to life in a week. In two weeks I was breeding them, amazing little fish with a reputation for being difficult to breed that I beleive is unwarrented.

grumpy55

5 Year Member
Oldschool,

Could you post some pictures of yours.

I purchased some a while back, but they didn't do well, I think it's my water.

The tank had Otocinclus, doing very well in it, prior to receiving the Candidi.
The Candidi only lasted about two weeks, so I didn't get to see much of them.
Now the tank has Apistogramma Bitaeniata in it, and they are doing great.

oldschool

5 Year Member
My fish had very few problems acclimating. I was able to fatten them up on bbs, blood worms and red worms.

taeniacara_candidi_x1.jpg

oldschool

5 Year Member
I purchased some a while back, but they didn't do well, I think it's my water

Were your fish wild or tank raised?

I had a line of T.candidi going for over 9 years at one point in the 90's and found my friends were able to breed them at pH of 6.5 and some even higher then that. I also found the tank bred Czech ones were very easy to breed as well. Wild ones will always be more demanding and will require their natural environmental conditions be replicated as much as possible. If they were wild getting them through quarantine will be the key so if you lost them early they were probably not clean and had a rough trip. One of the keys I have found when dealing with wild south American fish is we need to give them high Oxygen levels. When I quarantined my T.candidi I kept my O2 levels above 7 mg/l and I found this to be a key factor. You will be amazed at how low O2 levels can be with sponge filters and other traditional aquarium filters. It is best to use a bio tower to get high O2 levels. My wild T.candid came in like crap but were doing much better by the end of their first day and I give the high O2 levels much of the credit.

jaeger222002

5 Year Member
Phil,

I was just down there last Sunday and in case you haven't been there in a while, they still have a bunch of the F1 left. What might be of more value to you is that were several sexable fish (including females) in the tank and they are selling them at $9.99/fish.

Congrats on the Bio's. If I ever get a minute and can get back in I now where I will bge heading first :). Hopefully, you'll staill have lines of all the fish we accumulated.

Brad

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….