• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Amazon Abyss (Animal Planet)

blueblue

5 Year Member
A photo capture of the scene - the "sponge" living under Rio Negro!!

rionegrosponge1_454.jpg

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
This was shown over here a few years ago. I don't remember anything about the sponges to be honest, but freshwater sponges aren't all that rare, or is that just my impression? I know we get them over here in places. Admittedly I'm pretty sure none of them have such complex tube structures as the still you showed, they are usually more mat-like.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks ed seeley for your reply. Hmm, this particular show was filmed in 2005 while i missed it until recently... When i saw the sponge, i first thought about whether they're alive or not (probably they're alive). I then thought about whether it provided any hint about the different water requirements for apistos and L number suckerfish from Rio Negro... you know, very acidic water, which is suitable for apistos, is not too suitable for suckerfish but some of the species are reported to come from a similar zone in Rio Negro!! ...

beleg

5 Year Member
Well Amazon is a deep river. Its depths might have very different chemical composition than its surface ;). I watched this documentary too and it was a good one :)..

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not all streams that enter the Rio Negro are blackwater streams. There are many clearwater streams and even some that might be considered whitewater.

DH247

5 Year Member
For anyone in north america who would be interested in watching some of the series the Discovery Channel is airing episodes 1 and 2 on August 5 at 12 noon. Each episode is an hour long. Should be cool! I've caught little snipits here and there on the web and it is definitely worth watching!

blueblue

5 Year Member
Not all streams that enter the Rio Negro are blackwater streams. There are many clearwater streams and even some that might be considered whitewater.

Mike: As i remember, the sponge is in the blackwater area and the water has a very poor visibility. Do you have some comments on these creatures (sponge)?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Michael Goulding mentions them in his book, "Rio Negro - Rich life in poor water", but mostly as a food source for other animals. Sponges are a very ancient and high adaptable animal(s?). Really unusual since they are basically a community of specialized single cell animals that form a distinct animal. They been around for about 600 million years and are probably the first complex animal to develop on the planet.

fish fodder

5 Year Member
a useless piece of information for you, some members of the family loricariidae eat these freshwater sponges. cant tell you what ones though, i'll try and find out

blueblue

5 Year Member
Michael Goulding mentions them in his book, "Rio Negro - Rich life in poor water", but mostly as a food source for other animals. Sponges are a very ancient and high adaptable animal(s?). Really unusual since they are basically a community of specialized single cell animals that form a distinct animal. They been around for about 600 million years and are probably the first complex animal to develop on the planet.

i see and thanks for the info Mike. I will be intersted in reading this book :)

blueblue

5 Year Member
a useless piece of information for you, some members of the family loricariidae eat these freshwater sponges. cant tell you what ones though, i'll try and find out

Thanks and right... it is also why many hobbyists reported that their suckermouth catfish eats the sponge of their sponge-filter!! Sponge is actually a food source for catfish, ... by the way, is it possible to plant this kind of river-sponge in our aquarium?? ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….