• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agasazzi id help

Mark Ostendorf

I just started trying Apistogrammas in my Discus tank 3 weeks ago, and purchased a pair of Agasazzi Double Reds. The male was clearly a male, but the female has never been anywhere near him, or vice versa. Their body types are similar, but the female has unfirm vertical lines, a clear tail, and a black spot in front of the tail. Does this look like the right variation? I'm sorry about the tiny image, she rarely comes to the front. She is around an inch long. Thank you.
Agasazzi_female.jpg
Agasazzi_female.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, that is not a female A. agassizii. A. agassizii do not show vertical bars on the body. It looks more like a regani-group species, but the photos are too small for an accurate ID.

Mark Ostendorf

I'll try to get a better pic up soon if she comes out front. I paid around $55.00 for a pair of these, so it was frustrating to see them show zero interest in each other.

TCMontium

5 Year Member
That is an interesting one, Badis sp. (I don't know which species it exactly is or if it is a male or female)! :D I never heard a Badis being sold as a mate for an apisto before.

Mark Ostendorf

I have some small scarlet badis from the same place, they are probably a 1/3 the size of this fish and more brown(female), but they do behave and move in a similar manner, their bodies are a bit more longer and straighter, but the markings are similar. I think in the future I should buy from a independent seller who actually can identify their fish - this is not the first time this sort of thing has happened to me.

Mark Ostendorf

Can't really even try to buy a partner for a fish if I don't know what it is either - but I definitely need a female double red now, I do know that lol.

Mark Ostendorf

Ha - It's kind of frustrating buying online, my son ordered some topsail platies last month and received painted swordtails! Some Rams I received a while ago arrived with ich. The fish we receive generally don't look like the ones in the pictures, but our nearest fish store is 180 miles away.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….