• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice on Breeding Apisto Aggi's

W

Wadie025

Sorry to pester the forum about the breeding of my apisto. It is just that i seem to have all the parimeters right, the behavouir of the fish is right yet no sign of spawning.

The question i would like answering if possible what extent is the drop in temp a factor upon causing a spawn.

Also people have commented on major water changes, I regulary ( 3 Times a week change the water : To keep conditions perfect ). This change involves a 20% each time. What amount of water would be needed to be changed, or is this the right amount.

Please help a frustrated Apisto owner

Discus Man

5 Year Member
though not necessary I find a wc of 50% is a better way to trigger spawning.

Also, per 10g one teaspoon of coffee made with r/o water seems to always trigger a spawn in my alenquers... don't ask me why, I read it somewhere, tried it and it works...

skwelch

5 Year Member
coffee 8O
must be the caffiene gets them all excited

sometimes ive left water changes a little longer than normal, in your case i'd say a week, then do a big 50% change and see what happens.

krustyart

5 Year Member
Aggis spawn in tap water?

Yep, seems no one told my Rio Metas that they were not suppose to spawn in a tap water only aquarium. (20 tall, with 15 baby cacs , one guppy, 6 neons, a bumble bee gobie, one julii cory, one Otto V. and the offending trio of Rio Meta II Aggies. The Aggies are young and still eat the wigglers before they become free swimming but just like my Cacs I expect in time they will learn to raise and guard their babies well. No idea who told them that they were allowed to breed in tap water in a tank that doesn't get much water changes but who am I to tell them otherwise?
KRUSTY :!: [/b]

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have nothing to add to the main thrust of the topic. My aggies just spawn.

My question is, where did you get the name Rio Meta aggies? This is really new to me & very strange, too, because the Rio Meta is a tributary of the Rio Orinoco & A. agassizii is found only in the Amazon Basin. Just curious.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….