• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Acclimation Methods

depthc

5 Year Member
I'd like to know others acclimation methods. In the past week or so I've read a few different conflicting methods and I'm not really sure which is best. One says float, mix, release. Other says just open the bag, net and put the fish in the tank immediately because ammonia builds up immediately.

My method has always been to float the fish for a while then add a portion of tank water to the bag. I keep adding tank water for a hour or two at times and then release the fish in the tank. I've had plenty of fish survive but some have not. Recently I've had 3 SAE's and only one survived. I'm not saying it's my acclimation method just a possibility.

So please share your method of acclimation with us all. I'd like to know the best proven method to make sure I do it right once I get my order of apistos in the following week or two. Thanks.

Andrew

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
95% percent of the time, I will net the fish from the bag, and put it immediately in the new tank.

The other 5% consists of floating the bag and adding water for about an hour. When I do this, it's usually with fragile, wild species.

With the net and "dump" method, my theory is this : ammonia builds up in the bag, and it's a make or break situation. If the fish is healthy, it will adapt quickly. If it's week, might as well "kill" it off immediately, as it will only suffer with time in the new tank trying to adapt. Never lost any fish with this method!!

Fatts

5 Year Member
I am not a believer in the net and dip method. I am more for the discus type "drip method". I float the bag for about 10-15 min then open the bag and quickly use SeaChem Prime in a double dose (to neutralize the ammonia). Then I dump the bag into a bucket and add about 1/2 cup tank water every 5 min. I think this helps minimize the stress, and I have never had a loss this way.

scott

5 Year Member
i also use a method similar to fatts and haven't lost any fish this way. the only time i simply net them and put them in the tank imediately is when moving fish between tanks in my fish room where all parameters are practically identical. also most lfs' have a drip system you can purchase rather inexpensively for acclimating new fish.

depthc

5 Year Member
Well after recently losing all of the 5 ottos i just purchased im bummed out. I took my ever lovin time floating them and slowly adding tank water. I first dumped a dose of seachem prime at first but then slowly added tank water. Well needless to say a day after they are all dead. I got them from a some what shitty source so I beleive thats a big factor as well as ottos being reputable for dieing off early. Anyways Im done with the float method, its worked no problem in the past but it sucks losing fish.

So after reading this article, i plan to do the dose and net method. Im getting a shipment of apistos tomorrow and i dont really want to try out this method Ive never done before but I beleive it will be best. Has anyone lost fish doing this dose and net method? And does this sound like the best method to go about acclimating my new fish or should i dose and try a drip method?

Sorry if this seems so amatuer but Ive never really had much trouble with my previous methods but now I guess ive got to change this. Thanks for any suggestions.

Andrew

scott

5 Year Member
that was an interesting article andrew. from what the article says i should reevaluate my acclimation methods. although i have never had any problems with my methods, usually float and mix or dripp after putting the fish and bag water into a holding container. i tend to think if it's not broke why fix it. but maybe i won't float the bag anymore because i never gave much thought to the fact that the outside of the bag is probably dirty. i hope that whatever method you end up using that your fish will all survive and live happy healthy lives.

fishgeek

the fact that the refrence for this article is a commmercial site may explain some of the preferred choices

i personally think the suggestion of ammonia build up in the water is a bit exaggerated
unless of course the fish are over stocked in the bag
or not prepared or starved prior to longer shipping incidents

now if i assume that ammonia level has gotten so high then that is an osmotically active particle and is going to affect other ions in the fish's body primarily Na + Cl
taking the fish and dumping it into different osmotic gradients will cause problems

because we can not measure everything i think you are better to ere on the side of slower changes

if you have high levels of ammonia in a tank(read bag) you dont just pull all the fish out and put them in a new tank do you? i do water changes to help
similar to what happens when acclimatising in the bag

all the pathogens in the water , on the outside of the bag etc
wash the bag first if you are that worried
you are only adding the fish to quarrantine anyway so those nasty pathogens in the water- that the fish have been in for however lon the last retailer/wholesaler has had them are undoubtedly in/on the fish aswell

fish have an immune system that works very well when we let it

andrew

farm41

5 Year Member
I simply dump the contents of the fish bag into a 2.5g bucket, and start a drip line(airline with 1/4 turn valve for regulation). Sometimes with more sensitive fish like discus or M. ramirezi, I will fill the bucket 2 times or more, and then net them out of the bucket, but they are always in the QT in less than an hour. If the fish are coming from the lfs and are only in the bag for an hour or two, the ammonia issue should be insignificant.

If receiving the fish from across the country after 2 days in the bag and packed too tight, ammonia is more of an issue. Hopefully shipping would be overnight and packing would be light. I still use the same method, bucket and drip line.

The easiest way to make a simple drip line, is to take a piece of rigid tubing and heat using a hair dryer, to form U bend large enough so it will hang over the tank and use flex to reach into the bucket.

HTH

depthc

5 Year Member
Alright well all went well with the new apistos. Once i got them i put the 3 cacs in a 5 gallon bucket, dosed Seachem Prime and setup a drip line. I simply took some airline tubing, tied a loose knot on the tank center brace and tied a knot near the output and it worked perfect. The borelli pair was also setup on a simular drip line. Two hours later i netted them and stuck them in the tank.

The cacatuoides settled in very nicely and are displaying and eating very well. The male does seem to have some what clear and squiggly feces but he is eating well and active so i wont treat him for IP's until his condition worsens if it does.

The borelli have remained hidden since released in the 10g tank. But everyone once in a while i can see them both hovering in seperate sides of the tank and they move very little. Possibly a little shock im not sure but im a little concerned.

Thanks all for the input on this. You can see how some methods contradict others so i wasnt sure. Thanks.

Andrew

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….