• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A.panduro, skewed gender distribution

rsa1

5 Year Member
I'm a beginner at all of this. I produced a nice batch of A.panduro, but they seem to be overwhelming female. My reading tells me that the tank was probably too cold, but this assumption is based on data for other species. I can't find anything specfic about the panduros. Two question please.
What temp should give me an even distribution?
What temp will produce more males?
Current conditions (approx)
3 deg gH
6.5 pH
76 deg F
Thanks!

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Well if the species is like it's close relative, A. nijsseni, the gender ratios are determined by temperature. So maybe next time they spawn keep the temp. at 77-79 and see what happens. It usually better to have more females then males anyway. If anything, trade them as trios, I know having multiple females can help with getting more fry!

rsa1

5 Year Member
fishboy,
Yes, my primary source of info was Romers Atlas and lacking any other info, I was going to use info for A. nijsseni. However, I had read somewhere else (I can't remember where) that A. nijsseni is a bit more demanding about water conditions than A.panduro, so I thought there might be some differences in the temp requirements too.
I agree that a few more females and trios are good things, but this particular spawn is about two months old and I can just start to make some guesses about sex. So far, out of 35 fish, I see a couple that might be males. Two or three males doesn't give me many selection options.
Anyway, thanks for the info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….