• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. panduro - incompatible pair?

angel

5 Year Member
Hi all

I have a new m/f pair of A. panduro. They seem to be fighting and tearing each other's fins (so far, no bodily harm yet, apart from the fins).

Does this mean they are incompatible and unlikely to form a bonded pair?

Is there any hope of co-existence in the same tank?

What can I do to help this situation?

Thanks
Angel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nijsseni-group species, like A. panduro, tend to be "choosy" about their partners. Not every male is accepted by a female and visa versa. You might want to separate them in the same tank with a tank separater for a week or 2. Then re-introduce them. If they still fight, it might be best to add additional specimens. Once a pair bond has formed, it is best to remove any other specimens of the same species or they will be attacked by the pair when they are ready to breed.

angel

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike.

In fact, just today, the female produced some eggs. They have not been fighting even when the male is close to the flower pot where the eggs are, but the female does chase the male away when he tries to enter.

Does this all mean that they will be fine as a pair?

Can't wait to see whether some fry will result from this spawn!

Cheers
Angel

lab

5 Year Member
As long as the female can control the male, the fry should be safe (providing that the water parameters are OK for the eggs to hatch).
The female's agression is usually at its highest just when the fry have become free swimming. You may have to remove the male then to protect him. Right now your couple seem to be behaving normal.

Good luck,
Lars

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmadoKag

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(