• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A.Inca sex ratio

Daniel L

5 Year Member
I bought about 12 A.sp.Inca (randomly selected) and I was wandering about the sex ratio and determination and occurence in nature.

My specimens are about 1½-inch long. Since they're hi-finned, females are hard to distinguish from males, based on the early elongation of the first spines on the dorsal fin. The only way I was able to tell males from females, up to now, is by looking at the fins where the males have the typical nijsenni-coloured orange band in the caudal. Are sub-dominant males coloured like females for this species or is there something else I am missing that I should look at? Because if that's the case, I might be stucked with 1 male, 11 females! What a hell (or paradise) for some of us...

Also, does anyone have heard that males are rare in nature for this species?

Thanks for all replies.

Daniel (Quebec City, Canada)

farm41

5 Year Member
Look at the ventral fins, any black coloring at all will indicate that it is female. Both sexes have the red crescent on the caudal fin.

So far all my inca spawns appear to have a 50/50 sex ratio.

I couldn't tell you about what happens in nature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….