• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. cacautoides "yellow/gold" (TR) breeding

nekomi

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I'm planning on stocking my newly-acquired 65 gallon with a trio or 2:3 ratio of A. cacatuoides y/g (like the subject says, the triple red genotype). I'm looking to breed these fish, and I know that they are rather unpredictable as far as fry YG phenotype ratio, deformities, stability, health, etc. In that light, what do you recommend I purchase to get the highest-quality YG fry:

2 male YG cacs, and 3 female YG cacs; or 2 male YG cacs, and 3 female TR cacs?

Thanks so much for any help!

nekomi

5 Year Member
By the way - Neil, I'm interested in buying my YG's from your Yamamoto strain. Will you still have some available, come November?

Neil

nekomi,

What you go with in regards to using YGs or TRs, depends on the strain of YG that you acquire. For example, genotypes from Mike's fish will produce a percentage of YGs that should be less likely to have defects. He has strengthened the line via adding various other genes. There is nothing that says one cannot continue to modify and/or increase certain morphilogical qualities by mixing in another fish (ie, a wild cac, really exceptional TR or OF, etc.). This would mean another cross between their fry to get Yg colored fry though.

Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….