• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Borelli & Tannins

Don cheech

Hey someone mentioned A. Borelli was a clear water fish so would it be not recommended to add tannins by way of driftwood and almond leaves thus darkening the water.

MacZ

Clearwater does not mean there are no humic substances. The colour is not a primary part of the definition. Electric conductivity and ion concentrations are the relevant factors. pH and colouration come way after those. There are waterbodies in South America that look like blackwater but are clearwater when going by the parameters and vice versa. Humic substances are never wrong.

Do you use RO as a base or tap? If tap it's irrelevant anyhow.

Don cheech

Clearwater does not mean there are no humic substances. The colour is not a primary part of the definition. Electric conductivity and ion concentrations are the relevant factors. pH and colouration come way after those. There are waterbodies in South America that look like blackwater but are clearwater when going by the parameters and vice versa. Humic substances are never wrong.

Do you use RO as a base or tap? If tap it's irrelevant anyhow.
Tap

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
It depends a little bit on where you live, but for 99% of us our tap water is much harder and more salts rich than the water that Apistogramma spp. live in.

I live in the S. of the UK, and we have good quality tap water (from a deep limestone aquifer) but it is about 18dGH / 18 dKH and 750 microS., no amount of addition (of anything) would make it suitable for Apistogramma keeping.

I use rain-water in the tanks, but even that is too hard and too "salty" to breed black-water Apistogramma spp. in.

cheers Darrel

MacZ

I remember! Sorry, that's why it would have been better to stay in one thread.

So... if diluted a bit more maybe not the worst water, although I find the KH unusually low for the GH and pH. @dw1305 Darrel, you're better when it comes to chemistry. Any ideas?

Don cheech

Hi all,

It depends a little bit on where you live, but for 99% of us our tap water is much harder and more salts rich than the water that Apistogramma spp. live in.

I live in the S. of the UK, and we have good quality tap water (from a deep limestone aquifer) but it is about 18dGH / 18 dKH and 750 microS., no amount of addition (of anything) would make it suitable for Apistogramma keeping.

I use rain-water in the tanks, but even that is too hard and too "salty" to breed black-water Apistogramma spp. in.

cheers Darrel
Yes that’s true that’s why I want to put driftwood and then see where it goes and then maybe almond leaves

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Yes that’s true that’s why I want to put driftwood and then see where it goes and then maybe almond leaves
Yes, but you can't effectively soften water (that it isn't already soft) by adding things.

I think of it a bit like making a cup of coffee, once you've brewed the coffee you can't get back to water by adding milk and sugar, if that makes sense, you have to start again.

Same with hard water, it is only really by using an RO unit you can remove solutes. If you start with a blank slate you can make "designer water", but it has to be a blank (or nearly blank) slate to start with.

cheers Darrel

Don cheech

Hi all,

Yes, but you can't effectively soften water (that it isn't already soft) by adding things.

I think of it a bit like making a cup of coffee, once you've brewed the coffee you can't get back to water by adding milk and sugar, if that makes sense, you have to start again.

Same with hard water, it is only really by using an RO unit you can remove solutes. If you start with a blank slate you can make "designer water", but it has to be a blank (or nearly blank) slate to start with.

cheers Darrel
So do you think l can successfully keep A. Borelli with hard water my current 75 has gh 12 and kh 2 do you think that will be a problem?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
So do you think l can successfully keep A. Borelli with hard water my current 75 has gh 12 and kh 2 do you think that will be a problem?
Possibly keep, but not breed.

I'm still a bit concerned about those measurements. You can have dGH and dKH decoupled, if you start with RO water etc. but in nearly all naturally occurring water they are similar in value, because limestone (CaCO3) provides 1 : 1 dGH to dKH. The derivations of dGH etc. are all on our predecessor site <"Larry Frank - water hardness, the Krib">.

That is why I like conductivity (ppm TDS) as a measurement, it doesn't tell you anything about the water composition, but it cuts straight to the chase. If you have more than ~300 microS your water is probably too hard (extrapolated from the ionic strength) for successful keeping.

cheers Darrel

Don cheech

Hi all,

Possibly keep, but not breed.

I'm still a bit concerned about those measurements. You can have dGH and dKH decoupled, if you start with RO water etc. but in nearly all naturally occurring water they are similar in value, because limestone (CaCO3) provides 1 : 1 dGH to dKH. The derivations of dGH etc. are all on our predecessor site <"Larry Frank - water hardness, the Krib">.

That is why I like conductivity (ppm TDS) as a measurement, it doesn't tell you anything about the water composition, but it cuts straight to the chase. If you have more than ~300 microS your water is probably too hard (extrapolated from the ionic strength) for successful keeping.

cheers Darrel
Thanks for all the info

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….