• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2 Pair in a 4 ft tank?

Jeffk

5 Year Member
Mainly looking for clarification here... I have a 33 gal long tank that's the same footprint as a standard 55 gal (48" x 12"), just not as tall. For a community (not breeding) tank, could I stock 2 pair of A. borellii as long as I have plenty of broken sight lines, etc? Since I'm not interested in breeding, I guess I could just stock 2 males, but I think having females in the tank causes more interesting behavior. I'd probably include 12-16 black neons as well. Would 2 pair or borellii coexist in this size tank?

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
I could be wrong here, but I understand that A. borelli are one of the least aggressive of the readily available Apisto's. While I would normally not recommend more than one pair in a 55 (or 33, which I desperately want to swap for my own 55..), I think A. borelli could get away with it. Definitely litter the bottom with caves, nooks, crannies, leaves, etc. For reference, I had a pair of A. macmasteri in a 55 and during breeding, the male would be shunned to the upper corner opposite the female.

Best of luck!

Jeffk

5 Year Member
Yes - thanks for your reply - I chose A. borellii because I think they are the most mellow and most tolerant apistos.
I don't think I'd try this with any other species of apisto - at least not any other of the popular one's that
are easy to find. I'd also add both pairs at the same time.

aarhud

5 Year Member
I think you can easily keep two pairs of A. borellii as long as line of sight breaks exist.

Bart Hazes

The fact that you are not interested in breeding doesn't mean you fish are not interested in breeding. In fact, the universe seems to dictate that if you do not wanting them to breed they will :)

Still with a proper setup I think you could have two pairs as long as they don't both breed at the same time.

Jeffk

5 Year Member
The fact that you are not interested in breeding doesn't mean you fish are not interested in breeding. In fact, the universe seems to dictate that if you do not wanting them to breed they will :)

Still with a proper setup I think you could have two pairs as long as they don't both breed at the same time.
Thanks, Bart - Agreed! I just wanted to make it clear that I'm planning a community tank. I've kept borellii in the past and I've
never gotten past eggs in my ph of 8.1 water (so my female never chased anyone away for more than a couple days).
I plan to set things up to give max space on opposite sides of the tank.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
@ kowallzki30

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….