• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1st food

farm41

5 Year Member
Now that I have eggs I have been looking for some food types just in case I get fry too.

What is there besides bbs?

Or, is that the only thing to feed?

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I use bbs, micro worms, powdered flake, hard boiled egg yolk. I've tried a product called Cyclops-eeze. Not bad for suface feeding fry like angels tend to do, but I don't really prefer it for the bottom/column feeders like most apistos and westies.

farm41

5 Year Member
I started some bbs last night, another batch this morning and a 3rd batch tonight. How long does it take for them to hatch? The temp is about 70.

How do I separate the eggs that didn't hatch and the empty shells from the bbs? How long do you wait after the shrimp start hatching to harvest?

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
70 is kind of low. I keep mine at 80 and they hatch in about 30 hrs. To harvest, I just take out the airstone and let the bbs settle to the bottom. most of the eggs will float to the surface. Then I just use a piece of ridgid tubing with a length or regular tubing attached and siphon some out into a brine shrimp net. Coffee filter or hankerchief will also work in a pinch.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
As long as the specific gravity is close, 1.01 to 1.02, they should hatch. I would venture a guess that it might take in the 48hr range tho. I always keep a batch of micro worms on standby incase something goes wrong with the bbs. I can feed micros until I get the shrimp hatched.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….