• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Search results

  1. dw1305

    Mendezi

    Hi all, @KeithK PC, rather than a phone. I can see your floatng plant and I'd let your Salvinia cover 3/4 of the water's surface. It doesn't really matter what your floating plant is, I like Pistia stratiotes and Limnobium laevigatum mainly for their roots. I have all three, but I use Amazon...
  2. dw1305

    Mendezi

    Hi all, I understand this. I'm not very good with fish, so I need all the help I can get. If you have fish that require very high water quality, plant / microbe bio filtration is much more effective at this That is sort of the point, the trees in the flooded forest are as much aquatic plants...
  3. dw1305

    Mendezi

    Hi all, Ideal, wanting to see your fish is so overrated. If I didn't like plants? I'd keep Hypancistrus sp. in tank with hundreds of caves and no light*. *This may not be true Cheers Darrel
  4. dw1305

    Mendezi

    Hi all, Honestly listen to Mike, he is "Wise by name and wise by nature". I'll nail my colours to the mast and tell you that "cycled" isn't a very useful concept generally and even less useful for sensitive soft water fish. Read the links in -...
  5. dw1305

    Advices for breeding A.ortegai (sp. Papagei)

    Hi all, It is a question that comes up a lot on the forum. Have a look at - <"https://apistogramma.com/forum/threads/adding-a-female-for-my-male.30290/#post-139374">. Cheers Darrel
  6. dw1305

    Advices for breeding A.ortegai (sp. Papagei)

    Hi all, They aren't "bonded". The male now thinks that conditions are suitable for breeding, but the female isn't in suitable condition to spawn. He wants to drive her out of his territory and wait for a better conditioned female to arrive. Cheers Darrel
  7. dw1305

    Setting up a low TDS aquarium

    Hi all, We've talked to some of the scientists working in nitrification, and the consensus seems to be that pH and carbonate hardness are much less important for nitrification than was thought. Have a look at...
  8. dw1305

    Is it my imagination or do tank raise fishes have a harder time adjusting to acidic water then wc fishes to more neutral water.

    Hi all, It is such a shame, they are probably my favourite fish, but I would only consider ones that have been bred locally. Cheers Darrel
  9. dw1305

    Breeding apistogramma ortegai papagei

    Hi all, Good point, I'd assumed "centimetres", but "inches" would be a different ball game. Cheers Darrel
  10. dw1305

    Breeding apistogramma ortegai papagei

    Hi all, I haven't kept them, but I think you need a larger tank, definitely one with a lot more floor area. My understanding is that they're quite aggressive, and I'm not sure that is a big enough footprint for any breeding Apistogramma. Cheers Darrel
  11. dw1305

    Atahualupa experience

    Hi all, Neither of these are actually buffers and both them are equally useless. Mike is right, just use a dash of tap if you want some hardness and alkalinity - <"https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-original.70360/page-2#post-704571">. I have a jaundiced view, but I truly believe...
  12. dw1305

    Is this an agassizii tefe?

    Hi all, He is lovely, I had one that looked similar, but was probably a line-bred A. agassizii -<"https://apistogramma.com/forum/threads/what-kind-of-agassizii.25609/#post-126738">. Cheers Darrel
  13. dw1305

    A plant new to me

    Hi all, You need Mike for a proper answer, but I think they are only gold if wild collected. The ones I've seen have had a fantastic "platinum shine", just like little drops of mercury. Cheers Siver
  14. dw1305

    A plant new to me

    Hi all, It grows in our pond, which is full of oolitic limestone rubble, but also in the tanks which are about 100 microS conductivity and ~3dKH, so I don't think soft water is a problem. In the UK you can find it pretty widely anywhere it is damp and not a peat bog. I've collected a few...
  15. dw1305

    A plant new to me

    Hi all, They make excellent "spawning mops", a lot of breeders of small ExCorydoras spp. use a tank with a big wodge of moss for spawning tanks - <"https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/readers-visits/your-tanks-mark-allison/">. I get asked a lot about moss ID on <"UKAPS">, the problem is...
  16. dw1305

    A plant new to me

    Hi all, I should also have said that I really like it, I'm just a <"moss"> fan. The best resource for moss names is probably Flowgrow - <"https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants/drepanocladus-aduncus">. Cheers Darrel
  17. dw1305

    A plant new to me

    Hi all, Better monitor, not Fissidens, but it maybe Drepanoclados aduncus. Moss names in the trade are all made up or misapplied. I think Hemigrammis rodwayi are an underrated fish, they are a good "silver" tetra. Cheers Darrel
  18. dw1305

    A plant new to me

    Hi all, Fissidens sp. Cheers Darrel
  19. dw1305

    Breeding splash tetras....

    Hi all, I only found it when I was looking for Alan Vassiere. I assume that Ste Chester is too busy for much "hobbiest" activity now, he owns two? Shops in NW England Same for me, in my case a dead beech (Fagus silvatica) leaf, just below the water level -...
  20. dw1305

    New Panduro male heavy breathing - Stress or Gill Flukes? (Updated with photos)

    Hi all, Should have been .... Wide open spaces. Cheers Darrel
Top