• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

male Apistogramma?

Greg PL

5 Year Member
not much information, if you count on helpful comments.
tank mates? water condition? how old/how long is it in your tank?

Apistogramma keeper

not much information, if you count on helpful comments.
tank mates? water condition? how old/how long is it in your tank?

ok my tank is a 30gallon with 1 male Apistogramma cacatuoides and 3 female, 2 corys, 1 peppered loach, 1 small catfish. I will have to get back to u on the water condition...

ste12000

5 Year Member
Im guessing your fairly new to keeping Apistos??

Thats fine, the male is usually the more dominant fish over the females until they breed, then the females will turn bright yellow and defend their own little hiding place with great ferocity!! The males are quite often pushed to the back of the tank and not allowed out without being chased by the female/s.
Is this happening or is the male simply hiding and refusing to come out? Is he feeding? i cant understand your first post, you mentioned feeding but not in english? is he getting enough to eat, is he diseased, does he look ill or stressed?

Problems like this are almost impossible for people at the other end of the world to solve online! your looking at the fish and the tank, whats happening? observation is the greatest tool a aquarist can have, you need to learn your own fish.

Apistogramma keeper

Im guessing your fairly new to keeping Apistos??

Thats fine, the male is usually the more dominant fish over the females until they breed, then the females will turn bright yellow and defend their own little hiding place with great ferocity!! The males are quite often pushed to the back of the tank and not allowed out without being chased by the female/s.
Is this happening or is the male simply hiding and refusing to come out? Is he feeding? i cant understand your first post, you mentioned feeding but not in english? is he getting enough to eat, is he diseased, does he look ill or stressed?

Problems like this are almost impossible for people at the other end of the world to solve online! your looking at the fish and the tank, whats happening? observation is the greatest tool a aquarist can have, you need to learn your own fish.

well all he does is hide in his cave even when i out blood worms in the tank... :frown:

Mburz

How mature is the tank? How long have the Apistos been in the tank?
Get your water tested and post your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

Apistogramma keeper

what size is your male ? If he is still imature, he will not be tmpted by the female and stay away. cheers jk

How mature is the tank? How long have the Apistos been in the tank?
Get your water tested and post your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

ok well my male is full grown and the females go in the cave a they do this shakeing thing to him and he does the same. and i have had the tank up for a looog time and the Apistogramma have been in the tank for all most 3 weeks now... Here my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.
A:0ppm
N:0ppm
N:0ppm

Apistogramma keeper

I don't mean to be combative on my first post here, but you guys must not do facebook or blog very much, because people post other peoples photos very routinely in social media, and it is a very well accepted practice. The whole point of social media is to share photos, articles and web sites with your "friends" and certainly without permission of the owner of the photo. The legalities of the practice are universally the same whether it be in social media or some other internet forum. Thats why google has an image search.

To get worried about linking to a photo in a forum like this to help identify a fish seem a little... well petty, and I cannot possibly understand any justification for it. I would really like to see what this beautiful fish looks like, buit I cann't because you removed the photo just for spite! It is absolutely NOT illegall to link to a photo in a forum, But what do i know!:wink:

what does this have to do with this thread..... :confused:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….