• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Simple fish savers

bettamuse

5 Year Member
I thought I’d share this idea with everyone. I’ve been using these for years and I know many people who do for the more aggressive cichlid species, but recently a friend saw these in my room and said they’d never seen anyone using them before so they must not be as commonly used as I thought.
They are not the prettiest things to look at but in my breeding tanks fish health overrules appearance every time. I’d say these have been responsible for saving more fish in my tanks than any amount of vigilance could every have done
They are made from ag pipe, grey water pipe or drainage pipe depending on the size you require. Mine are mostly 40mm and 25mm diameter cut into short lengths and held together with electrical cable ties.
IMG_3790.jpg

Because they float around the surface of the tank I’ve found they also stop fish from jumping out of the tank as they give the harassed fish somewhere to hide up out of the sight and away from the territory of the aggressor. I always keep a couple of the different sizes in each tank.

Ram male
IMG_3766.jpg

D.maculata
IMG_3764.jpg

Betta macrostoma
IMG_2904.jpg

Not the best shot but this is looking through the door into my fishroom and you can see them floating at the surface of the tanks
IMG_3749.jpg

They are cheap to make and for cichlids and Betta species they work an absolute treat.

Cheers
Todd

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Good post Todd, I always have a piece of pipe in the top corner of the tank, but these would be easier and more flexible.
cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, these work very well. In bare quarantine tanks, I use lengths of PVC pipe; they sink. I use either film canisters (hard to find now that everyone uses digital:)) or black ABS pipe, which float, for hiding places at the top of the tanks. All are easy to sterilize if something nasty comes in with fish.

bettamuse

5 Year Member
Mike, I forgot about the ease of sterilizing them. I usually just drop them into boiling water before moving them into a new tank. I also use PVC in all my tanks as well for the same reason.
My room isn’t anything exiting. It measures 6m long x 1.7m wide a 1.6m high. The walls and roof are made of cool room panel and there are 60 tanks in it, mostly 2 foot x 18in x15in. and some smaller tanks for fry. All lighting is by LED strip lights.
Looking from the door into the room
IMG_3748.jpg

From the end of the room back towards the door
IMG_3747-1.jpg

cheers
Todd

Ruki

5 Year Member
Small off topic. Sorry, but I must. :biggrin:
How are you changing water? Do you have some kind of system of pipes?

bettamuse

5 Year Member
Not a problem Ruki,
I do the water changes manually with a good old hose. No magic pipes.
Filling is from a 1000L tub of rain water with another hose attached to a sump pump.

Cheers
T

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….