• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Dwarfs

Ruki

5 Year Member
I couldn't find that I have any thread with batch of my dwarfs, so I'll make one. :)

The newest photos of my A. barlowi(WF) :
img6500sf.jpg

img6501n.jpg

img6504ao.jpg

and their tank(96 litres):
33415058.jpg

bp2h.jpg

Taeniacara candidi(probably Czech breed)
1st pair
candidi.jpg

candidi2.jpg

candidi3.jpg

candidifemale.jpg

canbp.jpg

can2z.jpg

can3w.jpg

and their tank(96 litres):
candi.jpg

2nd pair:
img6481w.jpg

img6483x.jpg

img6485k.jpg

img6489x.jpg

img6490.jpg

img6491g.jpg

img6492w.jpg

img6493g.jpg

img6494d.jpg

and their tank(45 litres):
26059034.jpg

And third species for today, A. mendezi(female wf, male F1):
mendezimale.jpg

mendezimale2.jpg

menf.jpg

men2q.jpg

men4.jpg

men3t.jpg

and their tank(57.5 litres):
mendezitank.jpg

animalmgc

5 Year Member
nice collection you have started.ecspecially the Taeniacara candidi.
I've wanted a pair badly but yet to find a pair

Ruki

5 Year Member
Nice to read that you like them.
Today's time for my A. sp. "Pebas"(WF)
46901938.jpg

84900500.jpg

98064013.jpg

58996487.jpg

I have one pair and in second thank around 30 of their offsprings. :biggrin:

Ruki

5 Year Member
I don't switch leaves- I only put new leaves when old are near their end. :biggrin:
Recently I really like Magnolia's leaves.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I don't switch leaves- I only put new leaves when old are near their end. Recently I really like Magnolia's leaves.

I've got Magnolia leaves (M. sprengeri) as well at the moment in my shrimp tank. I'm not sure what effect they have on water quality, but the shrimp like them and the lamina decays to amazing "skeletons". Not my photo but exactly how they look.

P1040011.JPG

cheers Darrel

ZliBrka

5 Year Member
Ruki - very nice fish and tanks!!!!

I did think about putting magnolia leaves in my tank (becouse I have magnolia tree in my yard) but I was wondering about their effect to water quality. Now hearing it is all OK in your tanks I will probably trie it.

Sasa

Ruki

5 Year Member
Magnolia leaves are better than oak leaves in terms of water conditions. They are making water more acid than oak leaves, sometimes(with 100% RO water) even to pH near 4.0-4.5! I never had something like that with oak leaves.
But, unfortunately, magnolia's leaves are decaying faster than oak leaves(after one and half of month most of them look like leaf from Darrel photo).

ZliBrka

5 Year Member
Just yesterday I collected magnolia leaves in my yard and threw them away. There is some more leaves on my magnolia tree so I will collect it and maybe trie it in my tank.
Thanks Ruki!

Sasa

Ruki

5 Year Member
Rememeber to collect only "natural brown"(without any plant fluids in them) leaves. I haven't tried dried green leaves, but probably they'll be worsening a condition of water.
I have to wait few days for my collections. :wink: Leaves are yellow now.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Magnolia leaves are better than oak leaves in terms of water conditions. They are making water more acid than oak leaves, sometimes(with 100% RO water) even to pH near 4.0-4.5! I never had something like that with oak leaves.
Thanks Lukasz, this is extremely interesting, I feel some experimentation with the de-ionized water and a pH meter coming on.

cheers Darrel

Bilbo

5 Year Member
Which magnolia plant are you talking about. I have access to a few types.

Magnolia grandiflora has huge leaves and is evergreen.
Magnolia striatifolia has small leaves but is deciduous.

Wiki names hundreds of other types as well.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The deciduous Magnolia striatifolia, M. x soulangeana, M. campbellii, M. stellata etc are the ones with the leaves that skeletonize.

I'm pretty sure we had a thread about the evergreen M. grandiflora leaves (possibly toxic?) as well, but I'll have to find it. I've got access to a M. grandiflora, so I'll have a go with the leaves of that as well.

I've used evergreen Camellia (Camellia x williamsii) and Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) leaves in the tanks without any problem and they are much more long lasting than Oak etc.

Nothofagus leaves should be suitable? They don't like the soil here, but the Chilean N. procera and N.obliqua are very Beech like, not sure about the evergreen N. fusca or N. menziesii as I've never seen these growing in the UK.

cheers Darrel

Ruki

5 Year Member
Which magnolia plant are you talking about. I have access to a few types.

Magnolia grandiflora has huge leaves and is evergreen.
Magnolia striatifolia has small leaves but is deciduous.

Wiki names hundreds of other types as well.
If I'm not mistaken the most popular in Poland is Magnolia salcifolia and leaves from this mangolia I'm using. But I'm not sure beacuase I'm not a botanist.
P.S.
Because of polish climate evergreen Magnolias usually don't survive their first winter.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
A lot of the Magnolias aren't very hardy, M. salicifolia isn't planted very frequently in the UK. It should be an easy one to ID, as it has slim pointed leaves (salix is a "willow", so "willow like leaves") dull green and very pale underneath. The hardiest Magnolias as far as I know are Magnolia "stellata" (probably a variety of M. kobus) and Magnolia acuminata (might be this one? flowers in the summer with a drooping flower with a red centre?)
<http://mn4h.com/projects/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h466magnolias.html>

In the S. UK M. x soulangeana would probably out number all the other Magnolias by x10.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnolia_%C3%97_soulangeana

cheers Darrel

Ruki

5 Year Member
As I said, I'm not a botanist and my knowledge about plants is little. :wink:
Darell, maybe you can ID my magnolia by only seeing leaves in tank :biggrin::
mendezimale2.jpg

P.S.
Is photo displaying at your computers? Or not only I have problems?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….