• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

gravid apistos

leamos

5 Year Member
Is a female apisto visibly rounder and plumper when they are gravid?
I know it sounds like a stupid question but my female cac's belly has grown over the last few days, the male is displaying in overdrive and for the first time i noticed them interested in their coconut caves. just a little paranoid about dropsy i suppose after hearing so many horror stories (doing 50% wc with rainwater 2 or 3 times a week) so i am hoping/presuming my female is ripe with eggs and isn't in the early stages of dropsy, no other symptoms, no bulging scales, and is active and feeding

apistobob

5 Year Member
Females are definitely plumper prior to spawning and much thinner afterward. I often find that females get a different color in the day or two before spawning. They will seem to get more silvery, gray or almost greener - very drab. I also sometimes see an increase in aggression from the male in the days immediately prior.

Good Luck

Bob

leamos

5 Year Member
apistobob, thats my pair down to the T, thought my mind was playing tricks on me, yesterday the female was a sandy colour and today as you say its more of a greeny grey ting in her. and the male chases her everytime he sees her so fingers crossed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….