• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto help, bad luck

Tindomul

Hi all,

I have been trying some Apistogramma species since November with very bad luck. The first ones I tried were A. cacatuoides. The male I got died in one day. I did not quarantine them and within a few days I lost 5 Nannacara anomala with that male Apistogramma. 1 Nannacara survived along with the female.
The only thing of note is that I had noticed once they got home that the male was very unhappy looking, clamped fins etc... I figured it was the stress of bringing them home. A month later I ship in a pair of A. agassizii. I learned my lesson and quarantined in a separate tank. The male died the next day and the female died within a day or two afterwards. Two weeks ago I tried with tank raised A. borellii and both are dead as of today. All of them lived in different fish tanks. They were all of them alone, in quarantine. I did regular water changes, but I don't know, maybe not enough. The A. borellii tank looked a little dirty today, so maybe I was not keeping up with it as much as I thought. These looked very healthy and young when they arrived. I'm chalking this lose up to bad husbandry.

What is the science of keeping these guys alive. Should I be medicating them as soon as I get them? I've never medicated fish before.

The only other dwarf cichlids I own are Nannacara anomala. I replaced the ones I lost, and now I have those 6 (in two tanks) plus the lone surviving male from the first batch. They seem fine with my husbandry. They grew fast, look healthy etc...

I used distilled water and aged tap. 9 distilled -1 tap mix. I keep the temp between 75-78. Sometimes I play with the temp settings to see what works better. I feed two varieties of cichlid pellets and a brine shrimp based flake food. I keep Ammonia and Nitrite at 0. My nitrates were climbing as of late, but when I get 20ppm I panic and change ten gallons of water, thats 50% for the Nannacara tank and 75% for the other quarantine tanks.

My grand plan. I have a 75 gallon display tank. I just set it up and have a ton of tiny new plants from tissue culture. I hope to have a heavily planted tank. I was hoping to keep a peaceful species of Apistogramma. I like the colours on the A. agassizi Orange types, I love the A. borelliis. I picture a tank with lots of Cardinal tetras, Corys and somekind of dwarf cichlid.

So, have I just had bad luck, bad husbandry, a mix of the two or what? I want to learn how to keep these guys successfully.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Tindomul

no, I did not measure that water. Never thought of that. I simply temperature acclimated them. As for the A. borellii they lived for a week or more with just the temperature acclimation.
Thanks for the reply.

gerald

5 Year Member
What is the hardness of your tap water? Unless it is pretty high, then 9:1 dilution with distilled water might be too soft and ion-poor for newly acquired, stressed fish. I'd suggest at least 20 mg/L hardness (1 dGH) and 200 microSiemens conductivity for the first few weeks until they are recovered from transport stress. Disease was apparently an issue too with the first ones, since your Nannacaras also died. Study the various fish health websites and books (Univ Florida Aquaculture has some good articles) so you can learn to recognize the symptoms of different diseases and have a reasonable chance of choosing how to treat it. Some people do medicate every new fish. I don't unless I see specific symptoms.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Next time you try apistos I strongly suggest that 80% of their food should be live and frozen. Apistos just don't eat dry foods well. Of course, this isn't the cause of deaths so soon after being put in your tanks. Poor shipping and related stress are prime reasons for sudden deaths. I've found that good water and a dim quarantine tank at shoulder height lessens this shipping stress.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….