• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mike Wise's latest activity

  • Mike Wise
    Mike Wise replied to the thread Mendezi.
    In that case you should have all male apistos.
  • Mike Wise
    Mike Wise replied to the thread wc Rio Nanay ?cf? bitaeniata.
    The bitaeniata from the Rio Nanay/Mazon/Mormon is a genetically different species from those in other locations in the Amazon Basin. It...
  • Mike Wise
    Mike Wise replied to the thread Mendezi.
    These fish are not bad, but they are territorial, especially when breeding. Do apisto breed in the wild with other species around? Of...
  • Mike Wise
    I guess genetics don't lie.
  • Mike Wise
    Mike Wise replied to the thread Mendezi.
    Much too open IMHO. When properly landscaped it certainly could house several A. mendezi of one sex only.
  • Mike Wise
    For those interested in Jewel Cichlids there is a recent revision + 4 new species: Lamboj, A. & Koblmüller, S. 2026. Who Is Who in...
  • Mike Wise
    Mike Wise replied to the thread Mendezi.
    ... but not as bad as A. paucisquamis (the Chihuahuas of the apisto world:D). Seriously, it depends on the size of the tank, how it is...
  • Mike Wise
    I had no problems breeding this species, but my water was softer and the tank was ~2X larger, a 20 gallon long (75x30x30 cm). I never...
  • Mike Wise
    I might avoid A. atahualpa, but most others will be OK as a single specimen. I for example have a single male A. sp. Wangenflecken in my...
  • Mike Wise
    Mike Wise replied to the thread Parasite, or something else?.
    This is one reason that I quarantine all of my fish for at least 6 - 8 weeks before adding them to an established community tank. Some...
  • Mike Wise
    Mike Wise replied to the thread Parasite, or something else?.
    Sorry, my fault for read the NH3:4 as NH3: 4.0.
  • Mike Wise
    I definitely agree with MacZ. A community tank, especially one that is your size, is not a breeding tank for apistos. Breeding causes...
  • Mike Wise
    Mike Wise replied to the thread Atahualupa experience.
    There is no species called N. margarita. Do you mean N. marginatus?
  • Mike Wise
    Mike Wise replied to the thread Parasite, or something else?.
    I personally doubt that it was caused by Hexamita because this parasite typically infects cephalic pores. On your fish it occurs where...
  • Mike Wise
    Mike Wise replied to the thread n. eques.
    For me they are just 2 different populations, red color is not really important. I will say that most appear to be males.
Top