• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Apisto Panduro Problem??

Lugardo14

I just got a pair of Apisto Panduro and i have them in a 25G, well since day one the female was the dominant one in the pair and the male was always hiding but after rescaping and doing a water change the male is now being the bully, so my question is how would the dominance change cause of the rescape?? Thanks for the help

abrooks12376

He just wants to make some babies! They're extremely aggressive fish. Just make sure he's not inflicting damage and you should have some wigglers soon enough.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Once you rescaped the aquarium, you removed all the territories previously established. Both fish are trying to reestablish territories. This time the male has established his territory first. Most nijsseni-group species, including A. panduro, are choosy about breeding partners. Your 'pair' may be mismatched.

abrooks12376

I had a pair in a 10 for a while, no action, male stayed in a cave all the time. Moved them to a 20l, spawn 8 days later.. do give them a little while, is she canary with a black vertical bar?

Lugardo14

Well their small and here is the pair

Attachments

• 2015-01-13-09-45-41.jpg
    2015-01-13-09-45-41.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 391
  • 2015-01-13-09-45-38.jpg
    2015-01-13-09-45-38.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 360
  • 20150108_122214.jpg
    20150108_122214.jpg
    894.2 KB · Views: 505

abrooks12376

Same fish.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421182799050.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421182799050.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 430
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421182844719.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421182844719.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 473

abrooks12376

Yeah i know, but i only see only with a fully yellow body and one with blue and just yellow on the tips of the buttom dorsal fins
They're both females, you'll need to take one back and get a def. Male. I don't know how much more clearly I can put it. I'd take the one that doesn't look like a female back..

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
So will they still breed?

Many times they will, but it isn't very harmonious. Fry are often lost. A well mated pair usually have no problems.

An is their a way i could make them get along woth each other or no?

I'd give them time to sort out their living arrangements. If one is continually being harassed by the other, then it's best to separate them permanently.

rr16

5 Year Member
Not sure why you think this is female but it is definitely a male and a female. I've found that having a lot of leaf litter helped as my female had previously mated with my A. nijsseni male (which was bought young as a A. panduro). I later added a small wild male A. panduro and she chased him all over. He hid in leaf litter and in Hydrocotyle leucocephala and was eventually accepted when she came into season, so you could try lots of leaf litter.

abrooks12376

Not sure why you think this is female but it is definitely a male and a female. I've found that having a lot of leaf litter helped as my female had previously mated with my A. nijsseni male (which was bought young as a A. panduro). I later added a small wild male A. panduro and she chased him all over. He hid in leaf litter and in Hydrocotyle leucocephala and was eventually accepted when she came into season, so you could try lots of leaf litter.
Saw that heavy black vertical bar and maybe the pectoral fins were not as black as I thought.

rr16

5 Year Member
I have a wild male A. panduro that is quite young who has a strong vertical black bar and also some black colouration at the base of his pectoral fins where they enter the body. I'm assuming he'll get more blue in colour on his flanks as he gets older. He looked almost female for a while but he's fertilised three spawns so far.

abrooks12376

I have a wild male A. panduro that is quite young who has a strong vertical black bar and also some black colouration at the base of his pectoral fins where they enter the body. I'm assuming he'll get more blue in colour on his flanks as he gets older. He looked almost female for a while but he's fertilised three spawns so far.
Interesting.. I've always thought the black pecs was strictly female, maybe a tank raised thing??

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….