• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worst find

Bilbo

5 Year Member
Has anyone else had this happen.

2 days ago...
MaleCockatoo-1.jpg

Yesturday, choked to death eating his girl friend after eating all but 10 off the fry in the tank...
Maleeatingfemale.jpg

My favorite fish and my favorite pair

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello,

Firstly sorry for the loss. What a stunning male it was. It has happned to me. No reason as to why. they had plenty of food etc. Could be aggression, could be that the male was happy with offspring, could be nautre. I now remove the male after a couple of days from any female with fry. Sorry again cheers jks :biggrin:

Zack Wilson

5 Year Member
Wow, that is crazy. Never seen that before. May have just had an overly hormonal/aggressive male there. He was a nice looking fish though. Condolences.

apistobob

5 Year Member
Amazing photo. I have kept thousands of Apistos over the years and have never seen anything like this. Rotten luck for you. It sounds like you still have some fry that will hopefully grow out to be great replacements for the pair.

Bob

Bilbo

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone.
I am not really supprised that no else had had it happen to them. Just my luck I guess, they were fantastic parients and the last batch of fry grew to over 10mm before I removed them. He may have just had a brain explosion.

Still anoyed but we all loose fish sometimes. I have about 30 young fish from 3 seperate spawns and just hope that some of them grow to be nice active friendly fish like these were.

peterK

5 Year Member
Something like this happened to my friends' fish. She managed to take the female out, but she died - male survived!
pict0018pz7.jpg

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
Shocking!:eek: I'm glad they took a snapshot first because I would never have believed it without seeing such a grapic pic.

I 've heard of female Apistogrammas being fierce when it comes to protecting their fry! Perhaps these Mamas made the "ultimate sacrifice" because they just couldn't keep the male away from their fry? Nature still never ceases to amaze me.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….