• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worm?(pic)

Cathy G

5 Year Member
Hey all,
A friend has been battling with camellanus...she lost many fish and been dosing with levimasole - supplied by vet, with proper dosage...etc. So, she thought she was through it but now her juvie rams are looking bloated and there are pink 'veins' on some of them. Here is a pic. None of my juvies have this 'vein' looking thing so I'm inclined to think there is something else going on inside her fish?

Any suggestions? Is there another worm?

bloatedrams0126ak.jpg

Thanks,
Cathy

Cathy G

5 Year Member
She wrote back with this description...

They are in the same general area on their stomach, generally starting at or just ahead of the pelvic fin, ending well before the anal fin. I'll try to describe a few of them as best I can. Had to get my reading glasses on, but here we go:

Fish #1 - On the left side of the fish, the vein starts at the pelvic fin and goes about halfway to the anal fin along the lower part of the body. It is shaped like a reversed question mark rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

Fish #2 - Almost the same as #1 above, but the vein starts slightly forward of the pelvic fin, and is almost on the underside of the fish. Also shaped roughly like a question mark, but more squiggly.

Fish #3 - Same as #1, but a mirror image on the right side of the fish.

Fish #4 - On the right side of the fish, a crescent shape (open on top) above the pelvic fin ending just behind the gill.

Well, you get the idea. The lines are pretty thin, don't move around, and some are pretty faint.

Hope this helps,
Cathy

fishgeek

bilateraly symetrical and on multiple individaulas with little variation

sounds like anatomy to me
more proinent is the problem/question we have then maybe?

either thinner skin so can see blood vessel more easily
increased size and volume to vessel(engorgement) that makes it more visible

you could always press on one and see if it blanchs

most worms when in tissue would be encysted larval stages, so i would guess not worm

andrew

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
That is what I was thinking too. I wonder if it is the connective tissue separating the body cavity from the skeletal/muscle above it, and the fish's skin is thin/clear enough that it can be seen as a thickened line when veiwed from the side.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….