• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wildcaught Mikrogeophagus ramirezi sex ratio?

S.k

Hi Guys/girls.

Am stuck get several different answer i hope i get some answer from you guys.
These are wildcaught smallest 2,5 cm biggest 4-5 cm.

Male?
IMG_9777 by stijnkoch, on Flickr

Male?
IMG_9778 by stijnkoch, on Flickr

Left? middel female? right in back? right in front female?
IMG_9774 by stijnkoch, on Flickr

These lot no idea? believe second in the back female?.

IMG_9679 by stijnkoch, on Flickr

Thank you so much for reading and helping.

Greetings

Martin

Hello SK,

Some nice fish you have there!

I have never owned wild caught ones, but I THINK the ones with more red on their bellies are females.

They look young so maybe it is too early to be sure
Here is my best quess.
Pic 1 maybe male.
Pic 2 female but it is very big for female
Pic 3 middle is female
Pic 4 -top Male, then all females.

Normally the tank bred males only have blue dots around and sometimes a few inside the big black spot on the side.

Most of yours seem to have a lot of blue dots inside the black spot except the fist picture.

Also the pelvic fin on the male is normally much longer on the male.

I'm sure someone with more experience will help you more.

regards
Martin

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Wild Rams are easy to sex - when old enough:

Female: round humeral spot with metallic blue spangles throughout the spot.

Male: long, more oval, humeral spot with metallic blue spangles only around the edge.

S.k

Wild Rams are easy to sex - when old enough:

Female: round humeral spot with metallic blue spangles throughout the spot.

Male: long, more oval, humeral spot with metallic blue spangles only around the edge.

Hi Mike,

Is that natures rule as in thats how it is or does it happen that some males also have blue spots in there black?.

I've check i see 2 males then (not on the pictures) as they have more oval black round with blue spots outside of the black.

three that am 100% sure of that are females as they have the blues in the black (round black)

The other 4-5 might be to young then but they do have already some colours and one does have a oval black round

S.k

Some are definite females (lots of blue spots on the black spot) but the rest are too young to tell, for me anyway.

Thank you for your response,

Some have a more heavy looking body that are probably the females right? and some are more slender probable males then . You talk about young as in there length or age?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

Is that natures rule as in thats how it is or does it happen that some males also have blue spots in there black?.

That is nature's rule for now. Mother Nature may decide differently tomorrow (It's not nice to fool Mother Nature).:D Evolution isn't static (usually; tell that to Lingula).;)

S.k

Haha then i hope Mother nature is right, Sadly got some Ramirezi with white spot (not sure if thats the right term) so up goes the temprature.

Thanks guys/girls for your help so far will post some more once this trouble is over and there little older

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buthag

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….