• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild ramirezi pictures

shoshone

02510.jpg

02811.jpg

01111.jpg

01216.jpg

02112.jpg

02311.jpg

02211.jpg

wethumbs

5 Year Member
They dont look very wild to me. In fact, they seem to be very well behaved.

Unicorrs

awww cute! I always wanted a ramirezi, they have brilliant colors.
I agree with wethumbs, LOL!

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I have been meaning to try a group of wild Rams.
I like wild type Discus and Apistogramma more than domestic strains and I don't see any great improvement between wild fish like your Rams and the domestics.
It seems to me like domestic Rams, like domestic Discus, have diminished brood care instincts and getting to watch the brood care is at least half the fun of breeding Cichlids of any kind. I would like to see if my hypothesis holds true with Rams. With domestic Discus I feel lucky to get one reliable pair out of ever four to six mated pairs. The majority of pairs are egg eaters. Nearly all imported domestic Discus come from lines which have been raised artificially for more than 3 decades so breeders are not selecting for good brood care behavior since it has become irrelevant to the Discus farmers.
I bet I have bred domestic Rams 50 times and raised several thousands over the years but I have only had one pair of Gold Rams raise one brood out of all my experience with them. That pair produced an astounding ~400 fry from the one brood and I only used bbs to feed the fry. The parents would take in the bbs and macerate them then spit the shredded shrimp into the cloud of fry which grew much better than those i have raised artificially.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
flashbang,

Your Rams are beautiful.
That is the first time I have ever seen a pair spawn so high off the bottom and on the sides. Looks like they are great parents. Their brood care is what I miss since it has been seen so rarely among Rams I have bred. I have had many get to newly hatched larvae then eat the but most pairs just eat their eggs by the next day. Only had one pair take text book perfect care of a brood.

flashbang

Hi, they actually spawned on an oak leaf, as all my Rams seem to do..
When they were wriglers the parents transfered them to the side of the tank which had a good growth of algea on the glass, i can assume they did this because there was a small 2 inch L201 in the tank with them ( i managed to remove the L201 soon afterwards).
Rams normally transfer the wriglers to a depression in the sand or a hole in some bogwood
flashbang,

Your Rams are beautiful.
That is the first time I have ever seen a pair spawn so high off the bottom and on the sides. Looks like they are great parents. Their brood care is what I miss since it has been seen so rarely among Rams I have bred. I have had many get to newly hatched larvae then eat the but most pairs just eat their eggs by the next day. Only had one pair take text book perfect care of a brood.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….