• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Apistogramma id

Mazan

These two small Apistogrammas are in my local fish shop, they came mixed with a shipment of neon tetras from Colombia. These are the best pictures I could get for the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_7955.jpeg
    IMG_7955.jpeg
    832.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_7963.jpeg
    IMG_7963.jpeg
    627.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_7953.jpeg
    IMG_7953.jpeg
    697.3 KB · Views: 144

rasmusW

5 Year Member
I dare say eunostus or macmasteri complex fish. -which only leaves, i don’t know.. around 100 species to choose from… i’m terrible at this.

-r

Mazan

I have another one - I have not seen this one, it is in another shop not close to where I live, they sent me a video (it is not possible to see the caudal fin properly in any part of the video). It also came along with some cardinal tetras from Colombia
Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 13.35.02.png

rasmusW

5 Year Member
If it’s the same species i would guess it’s a female solely because of the ventral fins broader dark marking. Though i know it’s not a distictive feature.
Let’s see what the pros have to say.

-r

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
It's a form of A. cf. hongsloi too. Whether it's the same as the first ones, I can't tell. Depending on the size it can be a female or a young male.

anewbie

Just a comment that i had a female that was nearly the same size as males; and in fact when i posted pictures here folks tagged it as a toss up between male/female and then it laid eggs.... the other female i had was much smaller which i presume is normal.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Just a comment that i had a female that was nearly the same size as males; and in fact when i posted pictures here folks tagged it as a toss up between male/female and then it laid eggs.... the other female i had was much smaller which i presume is normal.
The reasoning behind my question for size was this: if the fish is small (<4cm) it still can be a male but if it's large though not too large (say 5cm), it's most likely a female, because a male of that size (even if subdominant) should look different.

anewbie

The reasoning behind my question for size was this: if the fish is small (<4cm) it still can be a male but if it's large though not too large (say 5cm), it's most likely a female, because a male of that size (even if subdominant) should look different.
I understood; wasn't trying to something or other. Just noting i had a female that very much looked like a male of this species; which seemed strange and i was wondering if this was common for honsloi that the difference between male/female is much more subtle than other species where it is more obvious.

Mazan

A quick question - do you think one of these Apistogrammas would be safe to put with some small (1-1.5cm) ruby tetras (Axelrodia riesei)? Would there be any risk of the tetras being eaten?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Any fish that can get another fish in its mouth ... will. Saying that it really depends on the size and decor of the aquarium and the disposition of the apisto.

Mazan

Any fish that can get another fish in its mouth ... will. Saying that it really depends on the size and decor of the aquarium and the disposition of the apisto.
This is the aquarium, sorry I can't get a photo without reflections at the moment. It measures 80 x 45 x 50cm, but I probably shouldn't risk it...until the tetras are bigger anyway.

IMG_7988.jpeg

Mazan

I really love your tanks. Just had to get that out there.
Thanks! This particular tank was where I initially had the Copellas before I moved them to the bigger tank. Then I used it briefly for an injured blue acara, but it has actually been empty of fish for several months as I have been waiting for something interesting to turn up. Then of course several interesting species turn up at once! It now has the ruby tetras, Nanostomus mortenthaleri and Rineloricaria lanceolata. I have room for Apistogrammas in the Copella tank (that is what I had been planning, but Apistogrammas are vary rarely available here) - but the shop also has 4 Poecilocharax that came along with those Apistogrammas and I thought of putting with the Copellas. I understand that it is not a good idea to keep them with Apistogrammas as they could compete for territory. Perhaps I could put the Poecilocharax in the tank pictured above and the Apistos with the Copellas?

Mazan

I thought that was the plan anyway.
I was initially thinking of putting the Poecilocharax with the Copellas, but I think it makes more sense the other way round. Wouldn't want to risk any tetras getting eaten.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….