• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild A. agassizii Spawn - Chance of Success in Tap Water

Racine Vice

I have a trio of wild A. agassizii in tap water and one of the females spawned in a coconut cave. My tap water measures a pH of 7.5 and KH of 7. They spawned in the last 24 hours and the eggs still look good. What are the chances they will make it to free-swimming? Is there anything I can do to help at this point? Pull the eggs, put them in soft water and add methlyene blue?

I know they will spawn again, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I can't seem to get my Apistogramma into breeding tanks fast enough.

Scott

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
I'd just leave them; seems like when I start pulling eggs is when the pair bonds start falling apart. I don't think the pH being high would give them as much problem hatching as the high kH...but that's just me. The fact that they are spawning is a sign you have good water quality which is probably more important anyway. It might be a good idea just to see if they do indeed hatch, to develop a personal baseline. If you don't have to adjust water parameters in the future, you'll be saving yourself time and money. Good luck!

wethumbs

5 Year Member
You have to adjust the water parameters accordingly if the eggs fail to hatch. This is true for breeding any fish. Just take note of your water parameters and go from there. A little observation goes a long way.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'd leave everything as it is. A. agassizii is very adaptable to water values. That is why it is found over such a large part of South America, in many different types of water. Domestic strains seem even more adaptable. On the other hand, I have been keeping A. cf. agassizii Madeira/Gold for about 10 years now. The original fish were collected in blackwater. The present fish still need somewhat soft and definitely a pH below 6.5 to reproduce.

Racine Vice

Thanks everyone. She recycled the eggs last night, as expected.

Mike, I will try to get a couple pictures of the male to see if it can be called something more specific.

In general, how soon can Apistogramma spawn again after eating their eggs?

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Scott,

They are standard Peru agassizii. Once and a while I can order loaction/type specific agassizii from there but most of the time it's just the catch all agassizii listing.

Jeff

blueblue

5 Year Member
I successfully bred WC aggie in hard water with pH in the past.
This species is very adaptable to different water parameters. If you feed them well,
the female can spawn again in two weeks time.

Racine Vice

New Devolpment - Free-swimmers

I have about a dozen free-swiming fry from one of the females, so I guess my tap water is good enough for these guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….