• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why is male macmasteri suddenly staying in cave

JeffInKentucky

I have a pair of young macmasteris that I’ve had for a month. They have hung closely with each other and are very active and healthy and not shy at all. The last few days I have noticed that the male has been hiding out in a cave at the other side of the tank. No noticeable aggression at all from the female. He comes out to eat, but will go right back in. I would expect from the female, but not from the male.

Any ideas why this behavior change?

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
I guess I would look for signs either that the female is brooding or the male is stressed for some other reason. If you feed on the female's side, does she chase the male away?

JeffInKentucky

I guess I would look for signs either that the female is brooding or the male is stressed for some other reason. If you feed on the female's side, does she chase the male away?
That’s the weird thing. She doesn’t bother him at all. He just decided to take up residence there. She hangs out at other side of tank like always. Water parameters are fine and stable.

anewbie

That’s the weird thing. She doesn’t bother him at all. He just decided to take up residence there. She hangs out at other side of tank like always. Water parameters are fine and stable.
Apistogramma like many dwarf cichlid will use signals to warn off other fishes and it is quite possible if the female had eggs so 'told' the male to get lost without physically harming him.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….