• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which sp is the most rewarding to breed?

hengeli

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I was wondering which Apistogramma species is the most rewarding to breed for you guys?
I have my personal favourites - Baenschi is relatively easy to breed and for me doesn't result in deformities; I have had a bunch of Megaptera that had almost a quarter of the spawn with deformities and I still choose to keep them together in a 3 foot tank as display.

Bitaeniata is a current favourite of mine, they aren't too demanding with water values and breed true to wild form at least from what I can observe.

hengeli

5 Year Member
Very nice! Thanks for the warm welcome, I did have a good line of Borellii Opal going till I lost them.
Undemanding fish and not fussy with food too.

Dad and offspring :

7vEZZ3Y.jpg

YGVVnKN.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I guess for me it varied over the years. Right now it probably would be A. wolli. It is a species that TomC and I collected in 2012 - under the guidance/protection of a Peruvian Army soldier (the only way we were allowed into the area). Not only is it rare in the hobby, but according to Romer is rare in its natural habitat. It also can be a bit of a challenge to reproduce. It seems the fish are 'choosy' about breeding partners, like A. nijsseni and is a true blackwater species. Not bad looking either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….