• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

when are a. caucatiodes ready to breed?

mrmike

5 Year Member
I have had a pair of a. cauct. for over a year now. every now and then the male flashes for her and wags his tail towards her. How do i know when they are ready. He chases her all the time too. Should i put them in a separate tank to breed now? Or when should I? Is there any other signs they are ready?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The fish are well into their breeding prime at a year old. I don't know why they haven't spawned yet. Maybe they have, but other fish get to the fry/eggs before you see them. I'd put them in a separate tank with a few small dither/target fish and many hiding/breeding sites.

mrmike

5 Year Member
Ok. Should i have a gravel bottom or just bare? Would some red eye tetras be ok to put in there also? And also my ph where i live is always higher like 7.8 or so, maybe thats preventing the breeding also? I just added some peat to my cannister to help lower it, but its a slow moving thing i see. And after water changes will it just go up again? I'm thinking a 10g gravel bottom some from main tank. Two flower pots for them and some fake plants also. Doues that sound ok?

OHR

5 Year Member
Could you post some pictures of the pair?

As for substrate they need sand or other fine substrate like all apistogrammas.

Getting your Ph levels down below 7 would be beneficial to your fish.
Using peat or clean rainwater are good options. Maybe you could hang a nylonstocking with peat in your tank while it matures?
Later you use the same method while aeriating your water. Sudden changes in Ph values can kill your fish.

Some types of roots and leaves also helps and makes good substrate.

I think red eye tetras will eat fry?

bigbird

5 Year Member
i would also use sand substrate , driftwood and plenty of hidding spots. I would use killie or pencil fish as dithers and no tetra species as they are great fry eaters...post some pics of CACS. cheers jk :cool:

mrmike

5 Year Member
well i don't have any pics right now of them together. But i did post a video of them online, check it out, let me know.... And i thought sand was not good in aquariums cause it develops pockets of gasses or something bad like that. My substrate is all gravel small size.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X13LPhMFTSg

bigbird

5 Year Member
ok thanks for the video. I would use silica sand as a base. Firstly the corys and secondly the apistos like this as it is easy to sift through and will not damage the codys feelers. Air pockets only come into effect if you make it to much. I use about 4cm of sand and this should be fine. It also looks great and brings out the colour. Your fish seem young, however keep at it, I was unsure if the smaller one was a female...anyway good luck and keep us posted...cheers jk :cool:

MGF

5 Year Member
The male looks ok, but the female seems a little bit skinny. It may be good to separate them and feed good food for female to get her ready. Put them together after she becomes strong and turn yellow. I also suggest to reduce the water flow, the flow seems too strong for Apisto.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….