• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What type of A. agassi or is it something similar?

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I bought a pair as Tefe but they are not quite what I associate with a Tefe Aggie.
Looks like Apistogramma cf. agassizii Ampiyacu to me.
AagassiziTefe001Small.jpg

Pair
92Aagassizismall.jpg

AagassiziTefe002Small.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, you're correct, it's not A. sp. Tefé. They look a bit young/not fully developed finnage-wise. Based on the male's dark marking on the body and in the caudal fin, my guess is that it is a population of A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net). If it is Netz, then I would expect that the male will develop much longer extensions on the unpaired fins.

DaemonEater

Mike,

Steve says when you were at ACA you said you knew what the A. sp. "Diamond Face" were. Can you send me some info on them?

-Anthony

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Steve still got a tank of them for sale when I visited a few weeks ago. I even noticed a few bigger males in there. Nothing as spectacular as the one you lost tho. Any idea what happened to the male you lost?

He also got a tank full of A. agassizi "Double Red" that were so red that I had a hard time tell the females from males. I suspected that the red may fade in time tho. I will go check them out again in a few weeks.

I also saw the A. cacatuoides "Triple Red" that were the best I have seen. The females look exactly like the males with shorter fintages. For some reason he still called them "Double Red", I told him they definitely deserved being called "Triple Red".

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
cichlid junkie,
I wish there was a practical affordable way to acquire your female.
Yes, I bought them from wetspottropicalfish.com as Blue pearl tefe but I informed sales manager, Anthony of the correct ID and he wrote back that he was going to change the listing to the correct name. I haven't checked to see if he really did.
I haven't wanted to breed a particular Apistogramma species as badly as these in some time. I know they have spawned one or two times but the eggs were probably eaten within 24 hours.
I am trying to check the pots daily so I can remove a batch for artificially hatching and raising some future breeders then I hope they will raise a brood naturally. My female is taking a bit of a beating despite all the cover and using a trio would be helpful. My chances are very much balanced on a knife's edge. The female could easily become ill from the excessive stress she is under.
I think they are an outstanding form of the Apistogramma cf agassizi complex.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….