• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is this apisto?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I know what it is not... it is not what was supposed to be sent. I do know that this fish was collected in Peru, in the border area with Equador. I am waiting on confirmation of the river system... if the exporter knows.

young male
edit_Apisto_sp_20141129_0496.jpg

Older male
edit_Apisto_sp_20141129_0510.jpg

female
edit_Apisto_sp_20141129_0515.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, it looks like a species in the Pebas/Ortegai-subcomplex of the eunotus-complex (at least the female does). If true, then it's highly unlikely that it occurs anywhere near Ecuador. The Pebas/ortegai-subcomplex is replaced by the cruzi-subcomplex in the upper Rio Napo and doesn't exist (as far is now known) anywhere else along the Peru/Ecuador border.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Albertini got back to me and said this fish was collected in 'ampiacus'. Is that the same as Ampiyacu?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My guess is that Albertino means the Ampiyacu. This river has 3 eunotus-complex species: A. ortegai (=Papagei), A. cf. ortegai (Pebas), and A. sp. Putumayo (a cruzi-subcomplex species). These species are still mixed together by the collector/exporter, often sold as "A. sp. Galaxis". In the bottom photo, the female is definitely a A. cf. ortegai (Pebas). The male in the 2 top photos probably are the same species, but can't be positive. They don't show enough of their dark marking to be sure. The fish behind the female, however, looks more like a cruzi-subcomplex species.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….