• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What Apisto's are good for PH 7-7.5

Aaron T.

I sure this has been asked many times but I was wondering if anyone has an extensive list on which species will do good in a PH of this range?

My PH 7.4
Medium Hard water

I have debated an RO unit, but if the wife sees one more piece of equipment I might die..
Where I live the water would need extensive conditioning to get PH below 6.9 and hardness down My current supposed to be impossible Cardinal tetras do well in water specs...

If anyone has some Ideas it would be greatly appreciated....

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
Other alternatives:
Collect rain water/snow
Collect water from your de-humidifier/air-conditioning unit (may want to stick some polyfil in it if you are concerned with copper or other metal contaminants)
Buy a 40 gallon trash bin, fill it with garden peat moss and water and let the water steep for about a 72+ hours, then use this water (it will be tea colored from the tannins). Refill bin with water and continue to use until the water stops becoming stained and use new peat moss.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Some species that are commonly available and should breed in slightly basic and moderately hard water are A. cacatuoides, A. cf. alacrina (Rotpunkt), and A. borellii. A. steindachneri is another possibility. Most whitewater species are worth a try, too. Even A. macmasteri should work. One way to look at this is most species that have many different domestic color strains are good candidates.

jloponte

5 Year Member
Some species that are commonly available and should breed in slightly basic and moderately hard water are A. cacatuoides, A. cf. alacrina (Rotpunkt), and A. borellii. A. steindachneri is another possibility. Most whitewater species are worth a try, too. Even A. macmasteri should work. One way to look at this is most species that have many different domestic color strains are good candidates.
This is interesting...can you please explain what you mean by "...different domestic color strains...". Does this mean they are more "adaptable"? Are the species you mention examples of this?
I am in a similar situation and would like to try keeping apistos.
Thanks,
Joe

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You'll find that many of the domestically produced color strains are in species that are easy to breed - read don't demand special water conditions. Good examples are all of the red and orange varieties of A. cacatuoides & the color forms of A. macmaster ("A. viejita") and A. hongsloi. A. agassizii is a bit of an exception, but most need only slightly more demanding water values. Hope that makes sense.

jloponte

5 Year Member
Mike, thanks for advice. I was about to ask you about a guide to grouping/geographical/organizational information when I googled upon your tremendous article "A DESCRIPTION OF APISTOGRAMMA SPECIES-GROUPS" on the "Martin and Tom" site. Plenty to digest there...I'm obviously new at this and overwhelmed by the amount of data that has been collected. Thanks for your generosity.

MonteSS

Just dont get wild caught fish. Domestically bred fish are so many generations from wild that they should do fine in your water.

...Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….