• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water Changes

MHEAD

5 Year Member
Hi. In order to have a large quantity of water available for water changes, people have mentioned using a large plastic trash barrel. I would like to keep the water warm--is there some type of heater that people commonly use? Also, do you need to have any other equipment for aging the water in the barrel? I am now using 25 one gallon plastic milk containers and thus I spend a lot of time warming each container before I put the water into my tanks. My fish and the water are in my basement and thus the aging water is really quite cold. I would appreciate any information on how to set up such a system. Thanks. Tom

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Also add an air line just to circulate the water. Depending on how the water is (or isn't) chlorinated, you may need to dechlorinate it. Then there is altering the pH and hardness ...

MHEAD

5 Year Member
Apisto-nut. I am not familiar with "food grade" barrels--where can you get them? Also, neither you nor Mike mentioned using a sump pump--is one necessary and if not how do you get the water from the barrel to your tanks? Tom

apisto-nut

5 Year Member
I got mine used from a place here in Ontario that ships pickles , Cherry's etc..,
they dark grey with a screw on lid .

I cleaned them well with a bit vinegar ( 4 liters ) and let them sit outside for a couple days to soak then rinsed them well .

I use a small submersible pump attached to a hose to fill my tanks , the smaller tanks ( 10g and smaller ) I use a small bucket to do the water changes

MHEAD

5 Year Member
Thanks Apisto-nut. Do you leave the pump in the barrel to heat the water or use a heater as Mike suggests and what about keeping the water moving? I live in Massachusetts so I will look around here for the barrels. Tom

MHEAD

5 Year Member
Thank you Apisto-nut. I may be able to find the barrels at Walmart. Tom

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
It depends on your tap water and which Apisto species do you want to breed.

When breeding A. borellii, commbrae, trifasciata, cf. eunotus I can use just tap water (PH 7; GH 3; Cond 250 ms)

When breeding A. sp. "Papagei", A. sp. "Morado", A. eremnopyge, A. baenschi I use mixed RODI and tap water.

When breeding A. bitaeniata; I´ve to use RODI.

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
I also use a big barrel filled with RO water that are been circulated and heated by a normal aquarium heater (in winter time). The water I'm getting from my RO system are in pH 6.0 and 25 mS so I have to mix it up with more higher conductivity water to the right proportion (just by adding regular filtered tap water)...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….