• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

video of spawning pair of Apistogramma macmasteri

guits

I noticed some increased activity in my pair of wild A. macmasteri this past weekend, and was able to take a video of courtship/spawning behavior. The first thing I noticed was the male and female shaking their tails at each other. I also noticed that the female seemed to be cleaning the surface of clay pot. The pair would dart in and out of the clay pot, with the female finally swimming upside down against the top of the inner surface of the pot, and the male stationed at the entrance of the park. I was not expecting this to occur, as the pair has 5 week old fry within the same tank. You can see the fry swimming about throughout the video. Sorry for the quality of the video, I took it with my camera.

At 5:30, you can see the male turn his abdomen towards the top of the pot, which I assume represents fertilization of the eggs. At 5:55, you can really see the female more clearly with her abdomen towards the top of the pot.

[video=youtube;aaTi_27Sq2A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaTi_27Sq2A[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaTi_27Sq2A

Photo of female with eggs. You'll notice her fry in the pot with her.

P1020410.jpg

Unfortunately, the eggs disappeared on Day 2. Nevertheless, I'm glad I was able to catch that on video.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….