• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unknown plant in my aquarium!

Gabriel Gustafsson

Hi

I just found some kind of seaweed or something. Anyone has the ID? It was not there by purpose.

Can I grow it, is it good/bad? Any comments?

Best regards Gabriel

Attachments

• IMG_0521.JPG
    IMG_0521.JPG
    882.5 KB · Views: 479

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Subwassertang, kind of moss I beieve.
I agree it does look like "Susswassertang".

It was thought to be a Liverwort (like mosses in the Bryophyta), but DNA analysis has indicated that it is the gametophyte stage of a fern, and possibly a Lomariopsis sp., close to L. lineata.

So far no-one has induced it to grow its sporophyte stage (the bit we call a fern), so a definitive ID is still missing.

cheers Darrel

gerald

5 Year Member
It's a great plant for breeding tanks, can grow in low lighting, and can even grow in brackish water up to 3 g/L (maybe higher)?
It does not cling to surfaces, so it's much easier to thin out than mosses. i use it in very small tanks with killies, Elassoma, Bettas, etc.

gerald

5 Year Member
Monoselenium (= Pellia, a liverwort) has a midrib or vein through the center, often has rhizoids growing from the midrib, and a dichotomus branching pattern at the growing tips. It is relatively brittle and breaks when bent.

Lomariopsis (= Susswassertang, a fern) has no midrib, no rhizoids, more random growth structure (not regular dichotomus branching), and is softer and more flexible. I think this is what Gabriel has, based on no apparent midrib and rounded rather than dichotomus growth at tips. .

Karin

5 Year Member
Thank you, Gerald, I will take a closer look at mine… always thought I had Monosolenium buy it might be Lomariopsis after all!

cheers

Karin

5 Year Member
Hi all, this is how mine looks...
I guess Lomariopsis.

Attachments

• WP_20160128_20_49_04_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160128_20_49_04_Pro.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 447

gerald

5 Year Member
Need a close-up pic to be sure, but yes the overall appearance does look like Lomariopsis. In USA hobbyists called it "Round Pellia" before somebody figured out that it was really a fern gametophyte.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….