• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unknown Film?

Micro Rams

Hey guys,

I set up a 20g planted tank and its been going for about a week, and i noticed this translucent film over the surface, and when i messed with it, it would get all silky. Its weird. I was wondering if any of you all have seen anything like this before?

Attachments

• IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    875.7 KB · Views: 423

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
It is a bacterial fungal film. Have a look at <"Skeptical Aquarist: Surface Scum">. You can treat the symptom with increased surface agitation.

It maybe because your plants are shedding their old leaves which they grew when they were being produced emersed. It should go over time if you keep removing the dead leaves.

Another possibility is do you have any new wood in the tank? This can contain sugars etc that will feed a fungal bacterial bloom.

cheers Darrel

Micro Rams

So I've read both sides about water agitation in a planted tank using co2 injection, this is my first planted tank and im using a fluval CO2 kit with it, its super simple from what the instructions say. But what ive read is that you lose alot of the co2 you put into the tank. I have a canister filter that doesnt mess with the surface much, and i also do have new wood in the tank that i bought from petco (it said it was mopani driftwood). I'm hoping that it will clear on its own, and if thats the case, then i'll just deal with it at every water change. And i'll keep an eye on the plants.

Is there anything you suggest i do to the wood? or should i just leave it be until the tank is cycled and starts going on its own? Thank you for the help.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
So I've read both sides about water agitation in a planted tank using co2 injection, this is my first planted tank and im using a fluval CO2 kit with it, its super simple from what the instructions say. But what ive read is that you lose alot of the co2 you put into the tank.
OK. I'm not now, nor have I ever been, a CO2 user, but a lot of my friends are. Have a look at <"UKAPS: Using a drop checker"> and <"UKAPS: Understanding CO2 and pH levels">.
I have a canister filter that doesnt mess with the surface much.
Basically you need some surface agitation to add oxygen and de-gas the CO2 at night.
I also do have new wood in the tank that i bought from petco (it said it was mopani driftwood). I'm hoping that it will clear on its own, and if thats the case, then i'll just deal with it at every water change. And i'll keep an eye on the plants. Is there anything you suggest i do to the wood?
It is quite likely the source of the white threads is the Mopani, just keep changing the water.
or should i just leave it be until the tank is cycled and starts going on its own? Thank you for the help.
If you mean adding ammonia to cycle the tank? you can stop. Planted tanks are never cycled in the way a "fish only" tank would be. You are not reliant on the filter bacteria and the microbial community developed under high ammonia loading is totally different to the microbiota in an established biofilter. Have a look at <PlanetCatfish: One organism ....>.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….