• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Uh-Oh...............

ginnie5

5 Year Member
well the storm they've been calling for has finally arrived. :x Lots of sleet. Last time we had an ice storm we were without power for a day...and we were LUCKY! Lots of people went without even longer. So what do you all do in the event of a power outage? I guess I should've thought about this before now. I paid way too much for these fish to lose them if we loose power. Hopefully we won't but if it lasts until tomorrow there's a good chance. There is no way my house is going to stay warm enough to keep the tank above probably 60 either.

Nermal

5 Year Member
EMERGENCY MEASURES:

Have a large, heavy comforter on hand that you are able to cover the entire tank with to conserve heat. You do the same thing to stay warm when you go to bed.

If you have a way to heat water, then be sure you have water and plastic bottles on hand. (You aren't going to add this water to the tank water). You can heat the water and put it in the plastic bottles. I'd use 1 or 2 liter pop bottles. Then, float these in your tank. Your fish will be OK even if the tank temp goes down some. Don't overdo the heated bottles and raise the temp. to dangerous levels. Yes, that is possible.

Don't feed your fish during the power outage. This could cause dangerous levels of ammonia and nitrites to build up. Fish will be fine without food for a week and will likely be ok for even two. Lhe lower temp will also slow down metabolism thus requiring less/no food anyway.

Don't keep checking on the fish. Removing the blanket an excessive number of times will result in excessive heat loss. They will be fine.

Hope you get this before you lose power!

Nermal

5 Year Member
If the temperature does drop in the tank be on the lookout for ick when the temperature returns to normal. Do some checking on how to treat it on these boards. There are a lot of snake oil cures out there so check with the group members first.

Another EMERGENCY MEASURE:

With the power off airation of the tank can become a problem. (I've seen this happen and watched two six inch tinfoil barbs suffocate, not pretty). Have a bottle or two of hydrogen peroxide on hand. The stuff you find in your medicine cabinet. Addition of the hydrogen peroxide to the water will make more oxygen available to the fish. I don't know exactly what it does to the water parameters, hopefully nothing. USE THIS ONLY if your fish start breathing hard. Don't worry, it shouldn't kill them, but you will want to do a water change as soon as is convient and the fish are out of danger. The alternative is to not use it and let the fish suffocate. This will be after the power comes back on and the tank has started to warm back up and water is circulating in the tank. Note, most fish will not need this treatment if the power is off even for several hours and possibly days.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)
Get a propane space heater. Units designed for camping are inexpensive. If you have a propane grill, you can use that canister to run it.

MyLifeAsAFish

5 Year Member
I'm with farm41, I asked for and got a 4500 watt generator for xmas. Luckily I haven't needed it yet, but here in kentucky we've been hit pretty hard with ice from this storm. I think the worse is over. It's a good feeling when you can "laugh at mother nature" and say, let it come! :lol:

Spring

ginnie5

5 Year Member
We didn't loose power!

Everything is covered in ice and I'll be staying home today but we have power. Our local company is really good about keeping the power on and getting it back on if it goes out. Dh wants a generator anyway, maybe I'll finally ok it. :lol:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….