• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two New Chromidotilapia Species

Randall

5 Year Member
Attention all "Westies" enthusiasts!

Released by the publisher on 2/5/03, Dr. Anton Lamboj has scientifically described two new Chromidotilapia species from Gabon, Central Africa. C. melaniae is named after Dr. Melanie Stiassny, Curator of Fishes at the American Museum of Natural History in New York and Adjunct Professor at Columbia University. C. nana is so named due to it's diminutive size. At approximately 3 inches, it is the smallest described Chromidotilapia species.

For further information and photos, please refer to the Apisto-Gram, the newsletter of the Apistogramma Study Group (ASG). For ASG membership information, please refer to their web site at http://apisto.com.

Thank you.

Randall Kohn

Neil

Wow a true Dwarf Chromido!! :D
I am loving that. Can't wait to get a look at them. Thanks for the info again Randall. Keep it up.

Randall

5 Year Member
C. melaniae & C. nana

Dear Florent,

The Gabon cichlid known in the European hobby as Chromidotilapia sp. Shiloango has indeed been described as C. melaniae. This fish, however, may not be the origianal C. sp. Shilaongo from Cabinda, Congo (Brazzaville), as per Thys van den Audenaerde (1968), pending further study (Lamboj, 2003).

Dr. Lamboj collected two Tchibanga species in Gabon (2000), referred to by the collector as C. sp. Tchibanga I and C. sp. Tchibanga II. C. sp. Tchibanga II has been described as C. nana. The photos depicted on both Ariel Bornstein's and Markus Russegger's web sites are not this fish; they are C. sp. Tchibanga I which has been described as C. melaniae.

Confusing, isn't it?

Thank you.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….