• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two broods in same aquarium

eranu

5 Year Member
We have a trio of aggies in the same aquarium, 22" x 15" x 12", both females have had free swimming fry for four days. There isn't much aggression at the moment, any advice as to what to do?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Feed a lot of bbs and enjoy the show.:) Make sure the male has somewhere safe when the females drive him away. If one female becomes dominant, she may take over all of the fry. You may have to remove the other female & the male.

eranu

5 Year Member
We suspect that one female is becoming dominant. I think I saw her frynap one from the other brood last night. What's the best action now? Remove the male and female, remove all the adults, remove the fry, leave them alone longer?

Normally how long would a brood remain with the female?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
So long as none of the adults are being damaged - and the fry are growing well - I would not do anything. This 'frynapping' is common among apistos. Sometimes they even take fry from different species.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
My advise is to start making room to grow out all the fry. Unless you have flow through water system or change about 80% of the water daily, pretty good results may be had by allowing about 1 gallon of water per fry. This will assure they don't become stunted and allows for their adult size.

Intermediate steps with greater numbers of fry per gal works fine as long as you perceive the right time to spread them thinner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….