• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

True Apistogramma viejita brought to Europe

Erik82

5 Year Member
Hi All,
I'am pleased, more than pleased with my latest arrivals in the Netherlands. First of all some very nice Apistogramma megaptera, but I also received two males and one female Apistogramma Viejita! They were identified with DNA samples. The specimen I got are most likely F1 bread straight from Colombia. They were bred there. Well after looking at the fish.. I must say they do not look like macmasteri...:D

Here some photographs of the male. The female is hiding and garding her eggs...:D.

eead9ec3c2.JPEG

b2de05d2fb.JPEG

Tom C

5 Year Member
Well, they have been in the UK, Germany and Norway since late 2014...

Your male has a quite different dorsal fin than mine have, here is one of mine (wild):

resizeimage.aspx

They have produced quite a few fry in all the countries mentioned, here are some of mine:

resizeimage.aspx

So now I think this species will be available in the hobby for quite a while....

Erik82

5 Year Member
Thats great to hear Tom! I assumed they were already in Europe, thought I did knew they actually were. Good to hear they've been reproduced multyple times!!

In my opinion is a stunning(?) lookking fish. A fish with some personality

Erik82

5 Year Member
About the dorsal fin, that's an interesting remark. The male is already quiet large. About 5-6 cm. How can we explain the difference in dorsal fin? Possible variation in different location they were catched or something?

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
I hope not, because "viejita" is it's true name and therefore there is no need for any commercial name at all! Instead It would be great if importers, wholesalers and retailers would stop using the names "viejita", "viejita II", "viejita Gold" etc.for variants of A. macmasteri - but I don't expect this to happen any time soon ;)

Erik82

5 Year Member
Frank, Ill agree with you about using the right name for macmasteri's. But how can we prevent that the true viejita will not mixed up in a thank of macmastrei of he commercial shops? I would be a sad if the fish disappair again in the hobby...

ErtyJr

Frank, Ill agree with you about using the right name for macmasteri's. But how can we prevent that the true viejita will not mixed up in a thank of macmastrei of he commercial shops? I would be a sad if the fish disappair again in the hobby...

There are many people currently keeping and breeding A. viejita now. Thanks to many passionate A. viejita owners such as yourself, I do not think the fish is in danger of being lost to the hobby again any time soon.

However currently many other species already have been. I think all the nonsense between A. viejita and A. macmasteri has actually given this fish a huge boost in popularity, and in my opinion has solidified it's place in the hobby for some time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….