1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trifasciata

Discussion in 'General Dwarf Cichlids' started by BigDaddyAdo, Sep 8, 2009.

1. BigDaddyAdo

BigDaddyAdo New Member 5 Year Member

Im curious as to why Trifasciata arent a popular Apisto???

Any ideas?
  2. dw1305

dw1305 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Hi all,
    I don't know why, they are really beautiful fish and not too demanding. My only thought is that when they aren't happy, they don't have the blue sheen, and look a bit washed out.

Locally you rarely can find any Apistogramma, but when you do other than "Blue-steel" (always mis-id'ed) they are the red selections of agassizii, hongsloi, cacatuoides and occasionally macmasteri (although not necessarily under any of those names). I think it is possibly a red fish thing as often the only other small non-malawi cichlid for sale is Hemichromis "lifalili".

I'm not sure about elsewhere in the UK, but the only shop I've ever seen A. trifasciata in locally (Bristol/Bath/Swindon area) was in the Maidenhead Aquatics in Brislington (Bristol), and theirs were both relatively expensive (£18.50 a pair) and all males.

cheers Darrel
  3. gingerbeer

gingerbeer Member 5 Year Member

Slow growth rate must have something to do with it - you gotta be dedicated to breed them, whereas anyone will breed cacatoides.
  4. mummymonkey

mummymonkey Member 5 Year Member

I didn't find trifasciata to be particularly slow growing. The only problem I had was nobody would buy my young fish.

[​IMG]
  5. chris1932

chris1932 Forum Donor Staff Member 5 Year Member

I had problems getting females from spawns. If I manipulated to many things they stopped spawning, plus I had trouble finding all those males homes. Pretty fish though.
  6. Hassles

Hassles New Member 5 Year Member

slow ?

I don;t know about slow growing - my fry from July are growing at a very raopid rate. I am however under the impression that this Apisto specie matures slowly (according to the cichlid atlas) so perhaps they won't breed as soon any many oher species.