• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tilapia sp. Jewel = T. deckerti?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is out of my realm of expertise, but I though the Westie people might be interested in the following paper:

Description of a Tilapia (Coptodon) species flock of Lake Ejagham (Cameroon), including a redescription of Tilapia deckerti Thys van den Audenaerde, 1967 (Perciformes, Cichlidae)

See: http://www.pfeil-verlag.de/04biol/pdf/spix33_2_05.pdf

I think (after a quick read) that it states that Tilapia sp. Jewel is the same as T. deckerti.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks for this link.

The paper takes the subgenus Coptodon species flock in Ejagham that was a hash of undescribed species and describes them. We have been called the 'large black' and 'little black' cf. deckerti for a while, but those are now fusiforme. The sp. jewel is the real deckerti according to this paper. I need to read through it more carefully, but that must mean that the original description of T. deckerti must have been of the fish later called 'jewel'.

All these fish are so similar that it has to be nearly impossible to tell what is what in the field.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….