• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thread like swimming worm

aarhud

5 Year Member
Hello,

I seen a very small worm in my planted shrimp tank. The worm was about the diameter of a human hair or slightly thicker and swam in a controlled way in a snake-like fashion. Any idea what it is? I could not get a picture of it because it was so small.

gerald

5 Year Member
Those might be Nais or a related worm in the Naididae family. They can crawl like earthworms (extend & contract) or swim like eels. The shorter worms that glide along like slugs are usually Aeolosoma, also in the Naididae family, but there's also some "micro-Turbellarian" flatworms (related to Planaria) that look similar and often found in aquariums.

aarhud

5 Year Member
Looks like thats what it is. Amazing how so many water critters just appear. Thanks.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
They are not parasitic. However, it can be a nuisance to fish. I once had a female Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Wouri" got the worms stuck in her gills. She was obviously distressed and couldn't dislodge the worms. I had to use medication to help 'melted' the worms away. Smaller fish would actually eat them as I managed to culture them in decent quantity.

aarhud

5 Year Member
Interesting. The worms are in a shrimp only tank, so no concerns for fish. The tank is close by the computer so I look at it a lot. I'm noticing all sorts of critters. I have some kind of "snail" that appears to be a clear blob with a brown center.

How did you culture the worms out of curiosity?

wethumbs

5 Year Member
I simply look under the microscope to see what was in their digestive tract. I even got video of the worm doing its 'business'. It turned out that they consume decay plant matters. The rest was easy after that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….