• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The ongoing Male/ female question.

Abeythefishman

The fish store swore up and down that this was a male and a female.
The fins say it's a real pair but the colouring suggests it maybe a subordinate male.
They're both about 1.5 inches.
I used to get cacatoides years ago and the female had no colour butI'm told that with the manipulation that the breeders do these days, it's hard to know.
If anybody can help identify these I'd be very grateful.

Attachments

• IMG_8625.jpeg
    IMG_8625.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_8631.jpeg
    IMG_8631.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 114

MacZ

The fins say it's a real pair but the colouring suggests it maybe a subordinate male.
The colours are absolutely no help anymore. The caudal fin has also lost the distinguishing quality in many strains.
I used to get cacatoides years ago and the female had no colour butI'm told that with the manipulation that the breeders do these days, it's hard to know.
That's exactly the problem, hence I recommend people to stay clear of the domestic forms of A. cacatuoides. The smaller fish could just aswell be a female, up to a certain size/age it has become really hard. I would not bet on this one from a distance.
Besides possible further growth, the behaviour will give you the clues necessary.

Yvonne G

Administrator
5 Year Member
it's been my experience clerks in stores aren't always as knowledgeable as they'd like you to believe. Remember, they're in business to sell stuff and make a profit.

Abeythefishman

The colours are absolutely no help anymore. The caudal fin has also lost the distinguishing quality in many strains.

That's exactly the problem, hence I recommend people to stay clear of the domestic forms of A. cacatuoides. The smaller fish could just aswell be a female, up to a certain size/age it has become really hard. I would not bet on this one from a distance.
Besides possible further growth, the behaviour will give you the clues necessary.
Thanks for your response.
I suspect the breeders keep the females to spawn more fish.
I’ll put in a coconut and wait it out!

MacZ

Thanks for your response.
I suspect the breeders keep the females to spawn more fish.
I’ll put in a coconut and wait it out!
Of course. And people at home breed with them as well.
So, honestly, don't even try. Leave the coconut out. The behaviour will tell you also without one and if necessary separate them. You wouldn't want to breed with that fish if it turns out female anyways. You'd just propagate the problem further.

anewbie

I had a female honsloi most thought was a male until she laid eggs. These little devils can be tricky - probably intentional.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….